Water main under foundation or above ground?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dug my trench for a new water main and am going to lay a new drive. The drive slopes upwards towards my house.
I need a way for the pipe to enter the house... If I drill at the lowest point above foundation it will be exposed. Can this be done if it is sleeved and insulated?
The only other method would be under foundation but I have started trying this but seems it would be a lot of work/disruption.
Any suggestions?
20200421_132528.jpg

Sponsored Links
Doesn't it need to be 750mm down on the outside then it can bend and rise vertically in an insulated duct?

There's an above ground device called a "Groundbreaker" - but it may not be as simple to fix as going under.
We always tunnel under at 750mm depth and come up safe and freeze free inside. Insulated all the way.

The Gas(?) pipe on view? Who installed it?

The trench is about 1000mm so have two of you on site if you are going back down in it.

fwiw: you have rising damp behind the render - dark patches. This is because your render is in ground contact.
Cut the render back above the finished ground level(s).

Sponsored Links
DIYer here.

I wanted a duct to come into my house from underground, and the installer drilled, from inside, though the concrete floor at an angle, so it went through the wall and came out below. Do you have scope for that?

A large SDS will do it. Drilling through damp subsoil concrete is hard, but not as hard as drilling through damp bricks as the dust can jam.

When I laid a new water pipe in a different house, the Water Co. inspector checked the depth and was untroubled that it rose up a bit to go through the wall above the oversite and under the suspended timber floor. He didn't care if I used armaflex or not.

I'm currently doing same thing my old lead pipe is 2ft under.

What blue pipe size will you be using? I was thinking 25mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back