Water mains leak under solid floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a water leak in a pipe that once ran down the outside of my bungalow, but was built over when an extension was added (before my time). The leak's been detected under what's now the solid bathroom floor, near the wall, where the pipe tees off to feed the rest of the house. To avoid digging up the inside of the house could I reroute the supply by breaking into it where it enters the bunglalow, laying a new piece of pipe down the side of the bungalow, through the bathroom wall, and reconnecting? The new connection would be on my property, not on the pavement.

If that's feasible ....

1. Does the new length of pipe have to be 75cm deep, even if it's being covered by a concrete path?

2. I think there's some sort of special duct (£130-ish??) that would allow me to bring the pipe up above floor level to enter the bathroom rather than mole-ing under the floor. Can anybody advise?

3. Do you think the job's within the capabilities of a reasonably experienced diy-er?

4. I'd obviously need things like reduction joints, but is there anything else that would be useful (apart from a builder that will do it for nothing!!!)?

Cheers,
Pete

Sponsored Links
1) 750 mm is the required depth - mechanical as well as frost protection.
2) Insuduct is an approved product for bring the pipework up outside the building http://groundbreaker.co.uk/products/insuduct/installation/.
3) Yes - the biggest issues being isolating the supply, finding the supply pipe and getting a decent connection on the it.

If you're in luck you'll have MDPE service pipe, - easy to work with and easy to buy fittings

Anything else useful - yes, a can of Ralgex for the inevitable stiff back!

plasticpete, Hi

What you describe is an Insured Event, ergo you could? if you wish intimate an Insurance Claim under the so called peril of an escape of water from an underground service, or if the leak is inside the property then the Insurance Claim can be made under the standard Escape of Water from affixed Domestic installation clause?

It will mean that the insurer undertakes the repair, saving your back?

Drawback is that your premium Will increase [forever]

Possibly worth consideration? and you get a year Guarantee, plus the work must conform to relevant Regs.

Ken.

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately the insurance reckon they only cover accidental damage and this is normal wear and tear. Perhaps I'd better read the policy again.

I already have a tin of Ralgex, so I suppose I'm partway there!!

However, this is the third fairly large diy "happening" recently and at 68 years old I reckon I'm just going to throw the towel in and let someone else do the lot.

Been to view a flat this afternoon. The idea is beginning to get more and more attractive!!

Sponsored Links
Where are you located? And a brief summary of what would be available?

Oh, are you offering to buy my tools or do the work. Probably the latter I think!!
I'd better hang on them a bit longer. Something's bound to go wrong before I get round to moving!!!

Oh, are you offering to buy my tools or do the work. Probably the latter I think!!
I'd better hang on them a bit longer. Something's bound to go wrong before I get round to moving!!!
Talk to your water supplier, they sometimes offer a free repair service even though it is on private property. The drawback is the inevitable two or three weeks wait.

plasticpete. Hi.

In general terms, all depending on the actual wording of the Policy?
If the leak is External. then the only cover available is Accidental Damage to an underground service, that is any external underground service whatsoever.

If as appears to be the case for you the leak has occurred within the building then in general the relevant clause reads, An escape of water from a fixed domestic installation.

As for wear and tear [if they pull that one] ask them how you are supposed to inspect to ensure that the pipework is not corroding when it is buried under the concrete?

If the Insurer still refuses your Claim, suggest you do not hang about, do not use the Complaints process, By-pass that and find out who the Managing Director is and e mail him or his office, tends to get things moving? you can ask the handler for his e mail address, if the handler you are talking to does not have the address ask to talk to a supervisor!

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back