water marks on a plastered wall (skum marks)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
high all fellow plasterers i have a small question is it acceptable to have a few water marks or skum marks please let me no. and if there will be any problems with it thanks peeps

Sponsored Links
Try to use the minimum amount of water when you polish up..

Too much water as Roy says. It breaks down the surface into a mush (your scum marks) & this collects in minor hollows leaving a powdery surface when dry. When removed (don’t paint over it), it makes the hollows more pronounced & leaves the plaster grain exposed underneath which looks a bit like suede brushed against the grain when painted; it may need local filling & will take more coats of paint to cover up.

A guide to my personal water use; I don’t use a brush & prefer an old 750cl kitchen spray bottle as I find it gives more control. A full bottle will easily do me an average size room (say 10 x 12) with some left over! Don’t use additional water until you really have to & then as little as possible; & donlt over polish the surface, it's not necessary & only make it more difficult to get the paint to stick. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back