Water Marks on newly skimmed plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have water marks on newly skimmed plaster, the skim was over artex and i think its the dirty water coming through from the knobly artex.

The marks are coming through 1 coat of paint, so now starting to think it needs to be sealed first.

Any suggestions?

i was thinking pva, but as its water based, the marks will probably come through that as well.

cheers
Adrian

Sponsored Links
Didn't you coat the artex with pva before skimming?. I always put a strong coat on the leave 24 hours then put another coat on before I skim it...

Yep did that, but they've still come through...... Maybe not strong enough PVA? Plaster has adhered ok, and the marks are not in all the rooms even though have all been treated the same......
Just wondering what to do about it now, ie lots of coats of paint/sealing/oil based undercoat??

Thanks

Oil based undercoat!! A great blocker.. Guaranteed to work every time.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Well the under coat has dried, and i cant see any of the stains. So all looks good to me.

Mixed under coat down with a little white spirit, a bit splashy but rolled better.

Oil based works every time Ade', and yes,,it's always better using a roller rather than dabbing here and there with a paint brush, it gives a thinner, more even spread,, makes the room smell nice too. I love the smell of paint. ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back