Water Meter Reader reposition help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

The new house extension has resulted in the water meter reader now being 'inside' the garage.

Thus I need to move it so that the meter reader have access without having to get us to let them in.

Can anyone please help me with what type of wires to use to extend this...

It's only a matter of a couple of feet to extend it to an outside wall so just need a suitable answer.

Can I just match up the wire and heat shrink/sheath a connection or is there a specific way to do it

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Gary

Sponsored Links
Thanks Robin

The cable goes into the wall and is routed to the meter which is located under the sink.

There is a slight option of replacing it by rerouting it through the back of the unit in the kitchen through the wall into the garage and run the cable through the still exposed posi-joists and out onto the front wall.
I'd need approx 12 metres of cable to do this.

I'm not sure how it's connected at the meter and I'll have a look next time I'm home, but good thinking.

What do you reckon the cost of 12+ metre of cable might be?

Sponsored Links
Yes that ebay link is the stuff.

The new meters are wireless so no need to get too carried away

The new meters are wireless so no need to get too carried away
They are - we had our old one replaced with a wireless one recently. However, the 'wireless' has a very short range - they still have to come and park their vehicle outside of one's house to get a reading. I'm not sure that they really gain very much. There was not really any 'access' problem before, because the meter repeaters are installed outside of the building, and they still have to do as much driving about!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks,
Think I'll speak to whoever reads these things and ask what they need before I move it then

Thanks Robin

What do you reckon the cost of 12+ metre of cable might be?

The link I provided includes prices. 18p + VAT per metre, cheaper than the Ebay link on the face of it, although I haven't looked at postage costs.

Hi Robin

Thanks for the link, for 25m (to be on the safe side & matching eBay) inc. postage it works out at £10.08

eBay is £6.99 with free postage.

The only question is 'quality'

Who would you rely on?

Thanks again

Given the application, I don't think quality is really an issue, certainly not in the safety critical sense that it would be with a mains power cable.

Also you could most likely buy the same thing in your local electrical suppler or branch of Maplin, etc. and avoid the whole issue of postage and waiting for delivery.

Edit to add.. The major DIY chains, Screwfix, Toolstation, etc. will also stock it but they would probably insist on selling whole reels only.

Last edited:
Luckily I'm not in a hurry so I think I'll try the eBay listing item and go from there.

Apparently the meter reader moaned about the fact he could not access the reader and that we should have informed them of our plans on the extension, he was a bit of a dick about it by all accounts, I wasn't there at the time.

Thus the need to relocate it for access.

When I had a meter installed, they wanted to put the reader inside my 2 m high side gate, to protect it from vandals. I pointed out the access problems that would cause and suggested putting it high up, at which he said it had to be something like 1200 mm above the ground, no more, because of "health & safety"! I questioned him robustly as to which bit of H & S legislation he thought applied, and after some persuasion he fitted it 2 m high, outside the gate. Some meter readers still want to come in the house and read the meter directly though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back