Water meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a water meter at our property and have recently noticed our consumption seems to be up. One of the dials on the meter is constantly slowly moving around even when no water has been in use for a while. We have no leaking taps etc and Homeserve have confirmed they can see no trace of leaks above floorboards. Our concern is that there could be a leak below the floorboards which will be hard to access. Is it normal for one of the dials on a water meter to be constantly moving?

Sponsored Links
my mum has a water meter, (i havent) all taps off nothing moves, looks like you have a leak :cry:

Possily a leak between the meter and the internal stopcock underground. :eek:

Turn off the internal stopcock - if the meter stops then leak is internal, if the meter does not stop then leak is external. Either way, regretfully, it's down to you to get it fixed I'm afraid.

Either way, regretfully, it's down to you to get it fixed I'm afraid
If it is the underground pipe leaking check with your local water authority as some have, or used to have, a policy of replacing leaking water pipes.

Sponsored Links
surley its the ops problem since the water meter is regisitering water being used (LEAK)

I always thought anything on your side of the main stopcock or meter is your problem

Lets hope that, if it is external, there is no block paving driveway involved. :eek:

yes.

block paving is the external version of laminate floors

I only replied because my mum has a water meter, now i am all upset ( :LOL: )

Where is the meter - if it is in the pavement and the leak is out there (outside your boundary) there is a small chance the water company will take responsibiltiy - is there water around the meter ?
Check your water company's repair policy - may be a fixed price repair charge or fixed price to replace the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back