water not all going to shower started after o ring replaced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I must have done something wrong. I tried to fix a leaky hot water faucet by replaceing o rings and the rubber tip on the end of the stem, and now I can't get all the water up to the shower head. Some comes out the bath faucet, around 30% I would guess. What the heck did I do wrong?
It's an old CENTRAL brand bath faucet and shower. :?:

Sponsored Links
its only a thought but perhaps the washer is too big or you overtightend it

breezer said:
its only a thought but perhaps the washer is too big or you overtightend it

Thanks but thats not it I think. The screw stem for the shower turns as far as it can (at least before I put it in the wall). Screw in for bath , out for shower. The stem holder for the shower has two holes in it but the others have none. Could the alignment be off or something?

:) i had this problem with a shower novelty from b,n.q it had to be lined up when you inserted the valve lever after replacing the o rings etc.if you take it to bits you will see the way its supposed to sit to either put water to the taps or to the shower but if its like a standard valve you have to have the "gate " in the right place or when its fully screwed open the valve isnt allowing the water to pass.sometimes the "gate "can become unscrewed inside so even though you have thre valve wide open there is next to nowt coming owt

Sponsored Links
if you take it to bits you will see the way its supposed to sit to either put water to the taps or to the shower but if its like a standard valve you have to have the "gate " in the right place or when its fully screwed open the valve isnt allowing the water to pass.sometimes the "gate "can become unscrewed inside so even though you have thre valve wide open there is next to nowt coming owt[/quote]

This sounds like it may be my problem. What's bits? I'm in America, we have lowes and home depot is it like that? I had to borrow a deep well socket to remove the stem and it's holder from the wall. If this sounds right to you, I'll walk down and borrow it again and give a quarter screw back and see if that solves the leak! I borrow tools from a grumpy curmudgeon so I will try to wait till I am sure before I ask again.

The piece that stem screws into has two holes on opposite sides of the thing so if they need to be in a certain placement I should be able to mark the hole location before putting it (back) in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back