Kitchen sink cold won't close -fear need a new faucet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am very amateur at this. I'm trying to fix my Kitchen sink. Basically, the water won't stop flowing at full speed and adjusting the knob seems to do nothing. As far as I can tell, hot seems fine. I can turn off the supply from the wall (there is one for hot and cold it seems), but once it's open it's a whatever. However , this flow seems to only happen on the cold side. I have a faucet similar to the one at this link:

http://www.maxidom.ru/remont_i_stro..._dlya_rakoviny/smesitel_object_dlya_rakoviny/

Sorry it's in Russian, but the picture is about what I have. I'm in Russia, so I'll be going to a store such as the one in the link to fix it.

Anyway, when I push the COLD KNOB inward, that is, towards the center, it stops, as though some gasket or hair leak is being sealed, and the faucet works as normal. If I push a little, the supply hose shakes and makes a grinding noise, and if I push hard it's as though it were working normally, but I have to hold it there otherwise it pops out. The warm doesn't have any pop or give. I tired tightening the screw but it's in all the way and I started to strip it before it would go further.

I fear I have to replace the whole faucet, which because this sink is so damn cheap and so poorly placed in (even I an amateur can tell, the hot and cold are on the wrong side, and worse) I'm not surprised about. The faucet has always moved around and was never properly tightened. But maybe I can just replace some parts and not have to buy a basin wrench? I would call a plumber but it's expensive and I'm not ever home long enough to let him in, anyway, and I don't think this is a really hard job.

So, should I get new faucet? Is there something to tighten? Do I need new supply hoses?

Sponsored Links
Hey guys.

We'll I guess I'll just replace the whole tap? Even if I can find a tap reviver kit, I think with my few tools and lack of expertise, and the price difference, it's probably high time to replace the whole tap.

Thanks for finding me ones. I found apparently the exact model of the one I have for about 8 pounds on a certain international super-DIY market website, which also seems like a bit low, but I'd guess my current faucet is made out of spray painted plastic made to look like stainless steel and the word "sink" on the package is between inverted commas. So I'm going to go to that market today to see if they have it for that small price, but I think the 30-40 quid range is more realistic. I suppose I also need a basin wrench to get the old tap out.

Will I need plumber's putty? The one I have now seems to have just a gasket.

Sponsored Links
Solved: I went to that hypermarket, picked up the cheapest tap they had which was better than the one that was on before. It was 175 roubles, that's about 3.5 pounds if I'm not mistaken. With nothing but an adjustable wrench put everything in place. It took a while to get the old parts to come apart and find where the hot water shut-off was but so far, it's in place, flow is good, and no leaks. Than you for your help and encouragement!

Can you send me a thermostatic bar shower and thermostatic mixing valve.
I'll pop the tenner in the post.

Whoops, I forgot the 150 quid p&p. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back