Choosing a shower faucet set: volume control, rotational stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having a broken shower set replaced with a new one. It's leaking and 2 plumbers tried and failed to un-stuck the valve and opined it's beyond repair without likely destroying the entire faucet.

• What is the term for a single-handle set/valve that can control both temperature and pressure (volume)?
    Seems like an incredibly basic thing, yet every explanation of thermostatic vs. pressure-balanced valves confuses me. Is it a given that all pressure-balanced valves nowadays include a ball bearing to adjust temperature and volume as desired? Or the volume/flow is fixed by the set screw?

• Online, many of the shower faucets are labeled "trim kit". Does it just exclude a valve?

• My cheap widespread sink faucet suffers from limited handle range: 0-30° controls volume from 0-100%, so turning the handle the rest of the way from 30° to 90° does nothing, as the flow is already 100%.
    In this shower faucet purchase, is there terminology to look for to avoid this? Besides digging through product reviews. Or it's not a bad faucet, just a misadjusted rotational limit stop?

Sorry for the noob questions, and thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
This is a UK website. Terminology, brands and plumbing practice are not the same as in your country.

Blimey! But your answer is accurate… :) This forum is often useful for global ideas and has a global URL, so I forgot. I'll go pester some American DIYers, if doityourself.com can figure out debugging their posting feature..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back