water not getting hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have an unvented system . the heating is fine but the hot water was not working , i checked the 3part valve and it was not working so i changed it . but the water is still not getting very hot . could it be the cylinder stat that needs changing ? cheers

Sponsored Links
when you switched the controls form heating only to heating and hot water nothing happend on the valve ( it didnt move) i tried it several times and nothing happend , when i installed the new one you could hear it moving and the hot water pipes got hotter the usual

when you switched the controls form heating only to heating and hot water nothing happend on the valve ( it didnt move) i tried it several times and nothing happend ,

poss seized spindle.
or the hw stat was satisfied.
when i installed the new one you could hear it moving and the hot water pipes got hotter the usual
right so whats wrong if the pipes are getting hot and valve moves ?

Sponsored Links
unvented system or unvented cylinder ? if cylinder there should be another 2 port valve after the 3 port, make sure its opening when you call for hot water.

the hot water is only warm not hot .

i think it has seized , ive had to free it a few time befor .got sick of doing this so changed it . dont know if the stat was satisfied . the stat is set to 70

its an unvented system . it has a tank in the loft that feeds the heating system and a tank that feeds the hot water cyclinder
however it has got a solar system connected to it that is not in use , this has an expansion tank connected to it as well
cylinder is 166 ltrs
max head 10m
immertion 760 co
primary heater service area .501 m2
max pressure of primary heater 3.5 bar
internal surface area
boiler is 1200x450 mm
stat drayton acl , hts3

looking at it im guessing that the stat may be at fault its got to be 10 years old ?

its an unvented system . it has a tank in the loft that feeds the heating system and a tank that feeds the hot water cyclinder
thats vented.

what does the cyl stat click at if you turn it up/down ?
on hw only does the boiler run for a while then cut out or will keep running ?

cyl stat (on out side of cylinder) dose not click , its very hard to turn .
boiler kicks in then cuts out shortly after

remove stat from the strap that holds it to the cylinder and let stat hang loose.
boiler should kick in.
is the surface under the stat clean etc and directly on the copper cylinder ?
did it just happen over night etc that the water was only warm ?

No its been going on for a while . ill give that a try and see what happens . thanks for all your help
just removed the stat . behind is copper but its not very warm to touch. ill leave it half an hour and see what happens

is the top pipe into the side of cylinder hot/warm (flow)?
what about the pipe below it hot warm (return)?
on the flow pipe going into cylinder do you have a bleed vent ?

is the top pipe into the side of cylinder hot/warm (flow)?
what about the pipe below it hot warm (return)?
on the flow pipe going into cylinder do you have a bleed vent ?
they were warm but now they are very hot . so it looks like its working with out the stat , no bleed vent . i have reconnected the stat to see if it go's back to the way it was , if so i will change the stat . do you agree with this ?

thank you for all your advice
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back