water overflowing (moved from hijack)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im the same as you sick of being ripped off from so called professionals...If I could find or trust someone to do the job right, I would just pay them, but I can`t so i do it all myself now..

I suspected my coil may have been leaking as the hot water tank overflows sometimes too..(But luckily I have an over flow pipe fitted, as least they did that right 35 years ago)..but I think its my mixer tap in the kitchen, the cold water pressure is a lot stronger than the hot water gravity fed system, when the mixer tap is mixing, ie half on cold half on hot, I think the cold water high pressurer, is pushing into the hot water pipe, and up into the cylinder, then over flow pipe, there are no oneway valves on the system as far as I know?

Sponsored Links
Im the same as you sick of being ripped off from so called professionals...If I could find or trust someone to do the job right, I would just pay them, but I can`t so i do it all myself now..

I suspected my coil may have been leaking as the hot water tank overflows sometimes too..(But luckily I have an over flow pipe fitted, as least they did that right 35 years ago)..but I think its my mixer tap in the kitchen, the cold water pressure is a lot stronger than the hot water gravity fed system, when the mixer tap is mixing, ie half on cold half on hot, I think the cold water high pressurer, is pushing into the hot water pipe, and up into the cylinder, then over flow pipe, there are no oneway valves on the system as far as I know?

So the professionals on here are rip off merchants and you expect help after you've just hijacked someone else's post?

If both tanks are at the same level in the loft any of the rip off merchants here could have told you a split coil wouldn't make the cold water cistern overflow.......

but I think its my mixer tap in the kitchen, the cold water pressure is a lot stronger than the hot water gravity fed system, when the mixer tap is mixing, ie half on cold half on hot, I think the cold water high pressurer, is pushing into the hot water pipe, and up into the cylinder, then over flow pipe, there are no oneway valves on the system as far as I know?

That would be unusual - every kitchen mixer tap I've seen has separate water channels (within the spout) to avoid backflow contamination. It's possible that you have a non WRAS tap or that the channels are cross-flowing but either would be unusual

If the water's coming out warm it isn't going back up the hot pipe at that time...

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your replies, it is so lovely to have such fantastic help! The reason I am on this forum is because I've started doing everything myself! Being ripped off makes me mad, but I've only recently had the time to do it myself! I have since fixed my blocked kitchen sink, (taken apart and refitted) as my washing up water was siphoning back into washing machine. I fixed my shower pump, I had a quote for £250 + VAT and I did it myself for £7.15! I have just this morning fixed two broken UPVC window handles, I was quoted for full replacement windows! It took me 10 minutes after looking how to do it on YouTube!
No nobody has ever said I need overflow pipes fitted to the tanks and to be honest I have not managed to get into the roof until now, so I've not seen for myself. My only problem is access, I have to balance on the top handle of a scary step ladder to get in, so I've left it to the professionals. But no more!
I will today try to remove the broken Valve, go to screwfix and buy a new part and refit it. However it's the undoing of the very lime-scaled old part, without the right tools for the job is tricky. I am determined to have a go, but would have no idea where to start to fit overflow pipes? Any idea how much this should cost for two overflow pipes, cold and hot water tanks?
Thanks everyone again for all your help and advice.

So the professionals on here are rip off merchants and you expect help after you've just hijacked someone else's post?

If both tanks are at the same level in the loft any of the rip off merchants here could have told you a split coil wouldn't make the cold water cistern overflow.......

I have a indi tank I belive there called? cold on top and hot at the bottom, if my hot water coil had split would the central heating water not blead into the hot water supply, thus raising the level?:whistle:

I have seperate cold water tank for CH(y)

Did I say professionals on here? are you another paranoid southerner?:D

but I think its my mixer tap in the kitchen, the cold water pressure is a lot stronger than the hot water gravity fed system, when the mixer tap is mixing, ie half on cold half on hot, I think the cold water high pressurer, is pushing into the hot water pipe, and up into the cylinder, then over flow pipe, there are no oneway valves on the system as far as I know?

That would be unusual - every kitchen mixer tap I've seen has separate water channels (within the spout) to avoid backflow contamination. It's possible that you have a non WRAS tap or that the channels are cross-flowing but either would be unusual

Well it only seems to do it when there set half and half or so? Narrowed it down to the taps, kitchen one mainly, I will have to test the bath and abthroom sink ones too.

A bath mixer / shower or monobloc tap is a much more likely candidate for backflow issues

I think the kitchen one is mono block??? can you explain what mono block is?

A monobloc tap has a single body with hot & cold controls incorporated into the tap body. If it is connected to mains water supply then the hot & cold water should be separate until it discharges from the spout. This is achieved by having separate channels (either concentric or parallel within the spout) so that the supplies only mix at point of discharge. This prevents a) possible contamination of the mains supply and b) allows different supply pressures from the hot and cold to be combined.

Monobloc taps - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIwOKLwYusxwIVZSvbCh3SxwDV

Deck mixer taps, when used on mains supplied water should have the same arrangement

Deck mixer taps - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...YusxwIVZSvbCh3SxwDV#tbm=isch&q=deck+mixer+tap

Bath deck mixers usually mix the hot and cold within the body of the taps and must not be used on unbalanced supplies or, with mains supply as there is a risk of backflow/contamination

Bath deck mixers - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...IVZSvbCh3SxwDV#tbm=isch&q=bath+deck+mixer+tap

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the detailed explanation newboy, I can now confirm they are all mono blocks.....have i had cheapo ones fitted as I am getting backflow contamination, especially the kitchen one.

Thanks for the detailed explanation newboy, I can now confirm they are all mono blocks.....have i had cheapo ones fitted as I am getting backflow contamination, especially the kitchen one.

you yourself admitted you only buy cheap crap, well you reap what you sow my friend :ROFLMAO: arrogant northern pr1ck!

Always makes me laugh when people come of here slagging off pro's and then expecting us to dish out free advice to them :ROFLMAO:

have i had cheapo ones fitted as I am getting backflow contamination, especially the kitchen one.

I can't tell what you have had fitted!

Nor can I tell what you H & C supply arrangements are

At the moment you are assuming that you have backflow problems caused by taps - there are other possibilities (shower mixers/controls have been mentioned twice in this thread) but you need a methodical approach to identify the causes rather than assuming a cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back