Water penetration around aluminium bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the recent spate of bad weather over the winter mold has started to develop around bifold windows we had installed 2 years ago.

There seems to be water/moisture penetration in numerous places to different extents, to the point I think it could be more than one issue...

I'll get some more photos later on tonight, but would appreacite any ideas of investigations/solutions to try out.

Some factors / issues that are possible:
  • Rendering outside has some very fine hairline cracks. There may be something higher up that I haven't spotted - could the water be pooling on top of the RSJ and seeping either sides?

• There is litterally dripping water inside the frame above one of the the door panels - can't quite figure out if it is coming in between the frame and the door or above the frame

• The outside facing wall directly above the bifolds in the room above has also shown signs of water penetration, with patches of what appear to be efflorescence under the paint - first time in 3+ years I have noticed anything like that there. Could be linked to an issue around the external seals of the window in that room that is also somehow seeping down to the bifolds?

• On the right-hand side of the bifold (not pictured yet) there is a pronounced damp shadow - can't see a source though.

• There are no water pipes etc in the vicinity of the bifolds. There is a fowl/soil pipe about 2/3 feet away but I dont think that is an issue.

• Since the problem has developed there has been internal condensation on the frame below the doors - not sure if this is more of a symptom arising from the rest of the issues.
https://pasteboard.co/IR0b37H.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/IR0aQyB.jpg
IR0aQyB.jpg

IR0b37H.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back