Filling gap under aluminium bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

The fitters of my bifold doors (whom I am not in touch with anymore) packed the area underneath with chipboard. We had an issue with water ingress which has now been resolved, but how can I seal the inside as best as possible to avoid any moisture or water coming in? I’m worried about using anything that will damage the bifold door track, and cause problems for them down the line.

See pic attached, pls let me know what you recommend. Is it expanding foam? Concrete? Or is there a putty of some kind that could use along that strip on the inside of the room?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Nothing will stop the ingress you need to have the bifolds out and it done properly

Need some better photos and to understand how things have been built. The danger with the door sitting on chipboard is that it may sink or expand in various places, especially if it ever gets wet again or with people stepping on the door threshold and that may cause problems with the functionality of the leafs etc.

Are you sure that is chipboard?

Photos from the outside would help.

Sponsored Links
Looks like disintegrating OSB, but whatever it is need to come out probably remove the doors and refit should’ve been onto a brick or cement base.

Here are a couple more pictures. The bottom of the bifold frame is screwed into the chipboard below but the frame is also screwed into the top and the sides.

I guess I could chip out as much as I could and then fill with as much mortar as possible. Then I could paint on some liquid rubber to prevent any chance of moisture or ingress

Attachments

• IMG_7733.jpeg
    IMG_7733.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7730.jpeg
    IMG_7730.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 62
Yep as mentioned that's OSB, really the door want's to come out to really see what's what but otherwise you could cut out all of it if you can, do it in say 300mm sections and then pack with mortar, then move onto the next section. But door removal would definitely be a better option.

The photo's aren't very clear and don't help with understanding what's going on really. You said 'We had an issue with water ingress which has now been resolved, but how can I seal the inside as best as possible to avoid any moisture or water coming in?' If the water ingress has been resolved then why do you still need to tackle how to stop water coming in?

Hi there
It’s not so much the water that I’m now trying to stop, it’s more to prevent moisture from coming in through gaps underneath the cill.
I think I can remove the chipboard but I’m worried that the door frame could bow or bend without the chipboard in place

The OSB may squash down if it gets wet or even if it stays bone dry anyway so you'll still have that problem if you leave it in place. Hence removing and replacing with something suitable.

Not seeing a need to remove door until the door actually has a functional problem. If that space isn't submerged, sealing with mortar or hybrid polymer sealant should be OK. The sealant would stick to itself and could be applied in multiple applications until satisfied. Once sealed and no other leaks, the deterioration of the OSB could stop. I can see failed caulk on the side that could let water in.

Last edited:
Its 10mm away from outside ground. Just get it done proper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back