water penetrationn throuh stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have water penetrating the wall of my cotswold stone house for the length of the chimney stack, enough to mop up into a bucket. The wall is only about 5 inches thick at this point. Its recently been repointed with a sand/lime/cement mix. Can anyone suggest a cure please? This wall is taking all the wind and rain

Sponsored Links
please by all means look into tawelfryn's info which i have no knowledge or experience of.

i know that solid walls are a problem (both rising & penetrating damp). the only way i know to sort is to tank the internal wall.

Which way to go depends on your needs.

have a search on the forum and ask if you need any more info.

The dilema is that there is the argument that walls need to breath to prevent damp etc in the house. The traditionalist people reckon that any chemical application outside will never work 100%

Sponsored Links
I have water penetrating the wall of my cotswold stone house for the length of the chimney stack, enough to mop up into a bucket. The wall is only about 5 inches thick at this point. Its recently been repointed with a sand/lime/cement mix. Can anyone suggest a cure please? This wall is taking all the wind and rain

This may be of help.
http://www.chowgulekoster.com/wpkdsystem.htm

Is the wall really only 5 inches thick where the leak is occuring ?.
I have used the KD-2 reactive powder on its own and it has quite impressive sealing capabilities on the negative side.
It does exactly what it says on the tin. :D

The dilema is that there is the argument that walls need to breath to prevent damp etc in the house. The traditionalist people reckon that any chemical application outside will never work 100%

both products what I have recommended are micro-porous, in other words they don't let water in, but allow to breathe and let moisture out

Thanks for your help. I think I'll try the Stormshield when the weather drys up. The KD system looks good but I really want to keep the water out of teh wall completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back