Best way to stop wind blown rain penetration through stone w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An old fellside stone cottage suffers from wind driven rain penetrating the stone walls. The walls have been pointed on the outside face but rain water is still driving through the wall.
Whats the solution any good remedies?

Sponsored Links
I believe it was a weak cement mix and then coated by two coats of thompsons waterproofing agent. The walls are about 600mm thick. The outer stone layer have have very thin mortar layers. The outer stones are well cut and all seem to be layed so that they slope down to drain water. The walls are random filled. The main problem is the cottage faces across a valley and the wind appears to drive the water right through the wall. Have considered rendering and painting but I am not sure that this will stop the penetration unless the rendering is cement based. giving us problems of expanding and cracking in the summer. The thompsons waterproofing has helped but still not good enough. There is no visible gaps or cracks. Thanks for the interest

using a cement mix could be your problem as this will trap the moisture in the walls, not to sure how to fix this without being repointed but some one else on here may know of a good solution

Sponsored Links
I was expecting to be told to render the face but this will detract from the appearance of the stone face and may give other problems. I was hoping for a reply from someone who has succesfully dealt with the problem. There must be a lot of similar situations out there. The locals seem to put up with regular attempts to replace pointing or rendering
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back