Water Ingress through the Chimney Breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, heres a weird one - when it rains I get water seemingly seeping through my chimnet breast behind my stove into the house. Its not - as far as I can see - running "down" the chimney but actually running through the stone and mortor (its an old Granite house).

When it stops raining and you pop outside to look at the outside wall the damp area stays damp and the rest of the outside wall dries nicely.

Ive had the outside wall repointed by a builder but to no avail. Any ideas? Ive attached some photos.

Cheers

Mark

Sponsored Links
Have you checked for leaking rainwater pipes, gutters or ground splash back ?

Well, the chimney is on the gable end of the house so theres no guttering or downpipes there. Just wall and the apex of the roof and a chimney - which has also been re pointed.

Not sure what ground splash back is though?

Id have though if the water ingress was running down the wall id see evidence of though, rather than a discete damp patch on both sides of the wall, inside and out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back