Damp showing in Chimney breast

Thats a massive job, could I not use something like Dryrod Damp Proofing Rods DPC Kit

Drill and insert these rods at the base of the breast (where the flooring meets not below the subfloor), then not having to rip out the flooring?
Here's an idea, go back to the small area shown in your original photos, hack and apply Limelites, finish and allow enough time to stabilise. Cost and time relatively small and it needs doing anyway. If you are still getting surface dampness then crack on and spend as much money as you like taking up floors, installing useless damp proofing, etc. I'll have a little side bet with you that it will be fine.

Sponsored Links
Could that be a hearthstone under the tub of paint ?

Here's an idea, go back to the small area shown in your original photos, hack and apply Limelites, finish and allow enough time to stabilise. Cost and time relatively small and it needs doing anyway. If you are still getting surface dampness then crack on and spend as much money as you like taking up floors, installing useless damp proofing, etc. I'll have a little side bet with you that it will be fine.

Makes sense!

Sponsored Links
When you dug out the rubble, did it seem damp?

Are you sure the source of water was cured? That rotten joist looks to have been really wet.

The subfloor void is shallower than I had imagined. Is it well-ventilated with lots of airbricks that are not clogged?

The brickwork around the chimneybreast will be packed with rubble that is in contact with the earth, all the way up to hearthstone level, and has no DPM or ventilation, which is why it can encourage damp. This is quite common.

In your picture you can see the brickwork extends forward of the chimneybreast, IME there was commonly a concrete slab or hearthstone or tiles in front of the fireplace to reduce the number of housefires caused when sparks and hot coals fell out of the fire.

It is possible, though unlikely, that tell is right on this occasion and the house was built without a hearthstone.

The source of the water was coming from the side of the wall, where you can see the rotten part of the joists. This was caused by the groundworks outside being higher than the level of the external wall DPC.

I excavated the ground to around 70cm deep, poured in some concrete to below 30cm of the DPC line, and backfilled with 20mm shingles to below 20cm of the DPC line.

There are times when the water table would be high, and this was penetrating the DPC, The party wall on my neighbours side, also has rising damp; its condition is worse than mine.

When we removed the joists, we had to replace some of the subfloor as it was rotten and wet. The subfloor rubble had been damp too; since the repair, I have been testing with a moisture metre on that side of the wall, and it's within the limits.

There is sufficient ventilation, as I can feel a draft, when I put my hand near the exposed part of the wall, where the side skirting has been removed.

The house was extensively refurbished in 2015 (before we bought it) its possible that the hearthstone would have been removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back