water pipes very noisey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem is the banging noise when something switches the water off immediately such as the washing machine. i know a pressure reducer might work but will then effect the lovely shower we have. Its hard to explain but someone told me that you can get like an inline rubber boot / spring valve that will "soak up" the sudden increase in pressure when something turns off quickly therefore stopping the bang noise. I don't think it's a water pressure problem cause yorkshire water checked my pressure which is quite high at 8 bar but well within their normal working levels. It even bangs when you turn the tap off too quick, we share the water supply with next door and they have the same problem so we can hear next doors pipes banging through ours and viasaversa. Hope this makes sense, anybody any advice :(

Sponsored Links
Its unlikely you will ever need 8 bar, even with a shower.

A good pressure reducing valve will allow you to adjust the pressure down to a value which should stop the banging, but still make your shower work fine.

You will still get the same amount of water coming out, unless there is some restriction elsewhere.

I would hazard a guess that 3 bar would be more than enough. But one of the plumbers may give you a better idea, based on their own experience in the field.

I have a problem with high pressure, and am waiting for pressure reducing valve to be fitted.

both are correct, lack of clips and pressure way to high, very hard to fit more clips to hidden pipe work, you can fit a shocker spring or a small expansion vessel neither will affect the incoming pressure, check though that they can take the incoming 8 bar, both are very easy to fit, I would probably though go with the PRV as 8 bar pressure could damage appliances attached, shower, taps etc or certainly reduce there life span.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies it could be the lack of clips but as was said difficult to get to most pipe work think i might need a PRV. Thanks again i have a few things to think about now.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back