Water pressure and stoptap failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone here able to put my mind at rest??

The house i am renovating is one of a pair of smallholdings, adjacent to the houses is the route for the water main providing water to a nearby town, we have very high (unmeasured) water pressure,
I have branched into the service supply (my side) and taken a feed to my caravan, were i have a philmac type stoptap, i also have 22mm blue alcathene on a philmac tupe stoptap in what will be utility of house.

To date, Twice the stoptap as failed at the caravan, by failure i mean the tap as blown straight of the thread and completely ruined the stoptap, Philmac say there products are rated to 16 Bar.

My main worry is that i have this type of tap as the main stoptap in the house, and although i am doing full renovation at the moment and a burst tap would not be a problem.

My question maybe is
what legal maximum pressure can a water company supply to a house
(assuming there is a maximum)

Sponsored Links
We had 12bar supplied directly off the trunk main in the street!

The Water Co said they only guaranteed the minimum and not a maximum and it was my problem to solve. After much argument and threatening them with court action if any damage occurred to my flats because of the high pressure they supplied 3 reducing valves but I had to get them fitted and they would not admit to having supplied them because that would be admission of fault.

Several years later we still have leak problems which all stem from over pressure of plastic blue mdpe pipe fittings and mostly to do with plastic thread failure!

Sponsored Links
Most Pressure Reducing Valves will take 25 bar inlet pressure.
Measure the pressure. If under 25 bar fit PRV.

Your blue 'alkathene' is Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) and will be 20mm or 25mm, not 22mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back