External stoptap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, a friend of mine has asked me to look at a leaking stop tap (inside there house)
If its not the packing gland and i have to turn the water off from the external stoptap, i was wondering wether it would be safe to do so as at the moment in my area we have very bad frost.

would u advise me to wait until the weather warms up to do this or is it going to be safe to use as normal.
Its a old type of external stoptap that hasnt been touched for years.

Sorry if i sound a bit stupid i just dont want to risk breaking or damaging it.

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
The only reason im asking is because its what ive heard of someone whos not a plumber, and i have never had to touch one before so just dont want to risk it. ive heard it can be pretty expensive to have the water board come repair one

Errrrr missed that one...
So what did you do? Unscrew the gland nut and pack with ptfe tape/string then screw it back in?
John :)

Sponsored Links
You may find most of the plumbers are out working due to the burst pipes etc and not able to spend as much time on here giving out FREE advice.
Your not the only person in the world and we all wait with baited breath for your next question you know!

Ill be sure to look out for your queries again in the future...............................

and not answer them ;)

Fair point shambolic, and i understand that, but when the topic has had pver 50 views i would of thought that someone could of asnwerd a simple question like that.
I do apologize for my attitude but i just got a bit angry when i had seen all the views and no reply as i needed to know asap.

So im sorry for my attitude towards you guys and will make sure in future i make an effort to be more polite.

And to burner man, i havnt done the job yet, i was just wondering IF the problem is not the packing gland, and i have to shut off the external stop tap for further inspection of the internal tap.
Is it ok and safe to shut of the external stop tap as in my area i have very bad frost, and i do not no wether this can damage or effect the old stoptap in any way.

Cheers mate.

Just my opinion mate but I'd be inclined to leave it until its a bit less severe weather wise....you just don't want anything to go wrong just now.
Anyway, if its the gland thats leaking, unscrew the smaller hexagon nut below the turning bar, get some ptfe tape or string and wind it in clockwise - a smear of vaseline helps. The gland screw will pack it in and stop any leak.
At a later date, turn the house water supply off at the external toby valve. Support the internal stopcock and unscrew the innards from the body. You'll then be able to put a new washer on and sort the gland properly. If your luck is in, use the innards of a new stopcock, and scrap the body. Its got me out of a scrape twice!
John :)

the water running through the pipe will be above freezing in temp. Around my way even in the most extreme conditions the water is still 8-10C. Therefore the stoptap will be of similar temp and fine to work with.

Cheers guys, thanks alot for the help.

and sorry about my attitude at the start of this topic.

Apreiciate it guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back