Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a combi boiler, and instead of it all running off the mains, the bathroom was still connected to a tank, causing the water pressure to drop!

I have now had the piping changed so that it all comes from the mains.
apprently the boiler pressure is correct, however i now have the same issue throught my flat. every time you have the hot & cold water on together the hot water pressure drops. This never used to happened before in the kitchen.

There are three things that have changed;

1) The bathroom is now connected striaght to the mains coming into the property.

2) around the same time, i had a water meter fitted.

3) I had issues with my boiler, and the repair man, had to reset the boiler, and altered the heating configuration on it, but didnt do anything to the water.

Would the water meter cause my water pressure to drop?
As at the time, we tested it, it didnt seem to.

It all seemed to be working correctly, until i had boiler issues, yet the company i am dealing with keep fobbing me off.

Please can anyone shred some light on this,

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The main water supply to your home is probably one 15mm copper pipe which is not much. Previously, the hot water came from a stored supply and the cold water via the 15mm pipe.

Now the same small diameter pipe has to supply both hot and cold supplies to your home, so when both taps are open, each will get half of it (more or less depending on the resistance to flow caused by the pipes and boiler) If you speak to other combi users they will tell you this is normal.

Previously most of the cold water flow would have gone to the cold tap and only a small flow used to top up the stored tank.

I understand what you are saying, however all water to the bathroom came from a tank, and was heated by the combi boiler as needed, and the pressure used to drop significantly when you used both.

However this did not happen in the kitchen as both hot & cold ran directly off the mains.

When the engineer came out, and repipped the bathroom to run off the mains, the pressure in both hot and cold taps the kitchen and bathroom seemed to be the same and quite strong, espcailly in the bathroom compared to when it was running off the tank.

Now however I have a water meter installed, which at the time didnt seem to change the water pressure. The pressure seems to have dropped since the boiler engineer reset the boiler, and altered the combi boilers controls, but he said it was for the heating only and didnt touch the water in any way.

I don't know what to do, as the engineers keep fobbing me off and i cant understand why i am now experincing issues, when once they had put all water supplies to the mains, it corrected the water pressure issue in the bathroom, so why am i now experincing issues with water pressure in both the bathroom and the kitchen, where there was never an issue before?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back