Water sitting against wall

My block paving pools water near my front door. I drilled a couple of holes through the wall between my neighbour's and our house. The water now runs in to his garden (and drains away nicely)...

I do have to push a twig through the holes from time to time to dislodge the sand/etc.

Initially, I drilled directly down, those holes clog very quickly.

Sponsored Links
Probably a few holes through the base of the wall will do it, depending on if the wall can take it, then poked with a stick when they clog up. That or carve a channel into the concrete down to a lower spot by the step though it's not clear if the levels will allow that.

edit Doh! beaten to it.

Sponsored Links
hank you to everyone for all the info. Here are a few more pictures.

Now, with a better idea of how and where the water is collecting, now we have the photos....

To me, it looks as if the concrete is levelled so it drains away from the house wall, but is being prevented, by that row of stone sets, between the concrete and the garden. Note in the first photo, that the concrete remains damp, alongside the stone sets. I would therefore suggest a quick fix would drill some weep holes, through the mortar joints, sloping down, through to the soil.

Paulw I asked you a couple of questions above?

Water can penetrate the bricks below the outside skin dpc and if the cavity is bridged with rubbish it can then cross and climb above the inner skin dpc. In that case it will affect the interior.

Having a rainwater pipe shoe is wrong, the pipe should be discharging down into the gulley not across & out.

Well I don't think you're a troll so you must be the first one.
That thing is called a boarder. Don't know why you tell people to drill their wall. If the OP did drill holes in the boarder, more water will flood in from the higher ground. So, you really are trying to flood the house.

Maybe, he won't know unless he tries, perhaps he needs to make a bit of a french drain on the driveway side of the wall, there's gravel there anyway. If it doesn't work he can always pour some coarse sand in the holes to block them up again, then get his angle grinder out.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back