Water Softener Install - Away from Stop-Cock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to the lack of space next to the stop cock entering the house, my plumber has advised me to install the new water softener under the sink which is 3meters away from the main stop cock?

He advised the flow rate will be the same as entering the property as the main pipe to the house is 22ml and the extension would be 22ml as well.

Do you guys agree that there would be no negative impacts in extending the main run to the kitchen?

I need to have a separate hard water supply for the sink and garden but the rest needs to be softened water.

Any suggestions/advise would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, quite correct and it gets the unsoftened water to the sink area and perhaps to the source point for the garden tap as well.

Plants, like humans benefit from a little calcium in the water.

opinions differ

IMO the great advantage of softened water is that it leaves your towels, skin, hair and bath cleaner and softer or gleaming. The taps, bath and mirror wipe off with no scale or watermarks.

It's also very much better for shaving.

Hard, limey water is horrible.

Sponsored Links
I found that a Jacuzzi bath benefited greatly from a water softener. Without, it made black soap scum. Maybe that's why it was given away by a householder in a hard water area.

That's not the water it's the pipes having standing water in them with a wirlpool bath(I can't spell jacuzzi) I advise peoe to rinse them out every so often with a bit of bleach to kill the bugs that breed in the pipes.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back