Water softener problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a problem with a water softener...The part which holds the salt is filling with water and overflowing. I understand that there should be an overflow fitted (which it has not been fitted by the looks of it) to stop it over flowing. Regardless of that, does anyone know why it is filling up that part of the softener and what I can do about it.

It may be knackered, in which case I will replace it, but it also might be just a faulty seal in the valve.

Any thoughts, comments or ideas will be greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
Obviously you know what make and model of softener you have!

But I dont !

Leaking valve, faulty level switch, kids pouring water into it for fun?

I have no idea either as I have never visited you and dont expect to be visiting you.

Next full moon is not until 0712 hrs on the 4th June!

Tides depend on the coastal location!

Sponsored Links
When it happened to me, it was because the clock-operated filling valve had jammed. It is possible to take the operating head apart, clean and lubricate the moving parts, reassemble with new "o" rings, and run it. Or if it is a cheap one you could throw it away and buy a new one.

there will probably be a water softener company in your town that assembles, repairs and sells softeners. The parts are fairly standard.

Thanks for your sensible reply JohnD. I will have a look and give it a go.

Seems a lot of other people on here should go and get a bit of DIY done, as they have clearly got too much time on their hands.

...The part which holds the salt is filling with water and overflowing.

Typically, the brine fill valve is a cam-operated valve that stays open for a timed period. It's probably letting water by when it should be shut. It may be a bit of grit stuck in the valve. I believe you can get new seats or washers, depending on the valves, but I've never had to repair one.

There's a diagram on P.12 here;
http://www.pure-earth.com/PDF/255-440.pdf

The Autotrol valve used to be used by most softener 'manufacturers', but didn't have the Autotrol name on it. Many make their own valves now, so the above is very generalized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back