Monarch Solo Water Softener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Monarch Solo non-electric water softener installed on 28th April 2018 and it seemed to be working OK until 17th May 2018 when I checked the salt level, and the salt chamber had filled up with water to the level of the overflow, covering all the salt tablets.
As the softener is under Warranty, I called Monarch and was advised that their Service engineer support does not cover Cheshire !! (In fairness having read their User Guide, it does state that Service Engineer support does cover my area and there is only a 'parts only' exchange Warranty.
However the Service department advised to try a manual regeneration of the softener by pressing down and rotating clockwise a phillips screw on top of the manifold which I carried out. The softener started a regeneration which was evident by the gurgling of water and the noise of water flowing out of the Drain hose.
This seemed to fix the problem until today (26.5.18) when I heard the softener gurgling and when I opened the salt filler cover the water was almost overflowing out of the chamber!! Also, there was water spraying out of the push fit joints on the thin tubes inside the softener.
The water was above the level of the overflow so I checked to see if it was blocked. Sure enough, the overflow pipe had a lump of material just at the end of the outlet outside the house.
This lump looks unusual and I suspect that it could be a lump of the resin that is contained in the cleaning chamber which removes the minerals from the hard water. It is a coagulated dark mottled brown colour.
I have now put the softener in Bypass mode and I intend to call Monarch after the Bank Holiday weekend.
Has anyone any experience of problems with these Monrach, non-electric water softeners? Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
As Monarch won't send out an engineer to assess and fix this problem, as the unit is under warranty, I think I am within my rights to box it up and return it to Monarch for repair or replacement. Would anyone agree?
Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Correct - if they won't fix it, send it back for a refund and get a Harvey one instead

Thanks for the advice Muggles. Do Harvey Water Softeners offer service support in Cheshire? I have had a look at their website briefly but it seems they only sell through Agents, which for my area is Aqua Soft at Telford. Would Aqua Soft provide service support do you know?
I will probably contact them after the Bank Holiday weekend.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back