Water Softener Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A few months back I moved into a house with a water softener. The system seems to be a Autrol 255 440i.

Since moving in I have been topping the system up on a weekly basis with salt, and all seems to have been fine. Yesterday how the system was overflowing water and the level within the brine tank was very high. Looking at the control panel it seems that the unit was sat on "Fast/Rinse/Refill".

I moved the control dial back to "Treated Water" and left it for a few hours. When I returned the brine tank was empty of water and the system was sat on "Drain/Slow Rinse". So I refilled the system with some water and rest it to "Treated Water" and left it over night.

When I went to bed the day count (dial at the top) was showing day 3. Next morning the day counter was on day 5 and again the system was on "Drain/Slow Rinse" and is was overflowing again.

Does anyone have any views on what the problem may be and how I may resolve it?

Thanks

TF

Sponsored Links
What you need to do is get in touch with the makers and ask for a manual not just the handbook
but a proper manual very detailed and a great help you will be able to go step by step
but a moment it looks as though the controllers goosed

It seems the camshaft is getting stuck.

Or the supply to the motor is getting interrupted in the wrong position.

Many consider those devices to be the work of the devil.

Sponsored Links
I've had a few, when they get old (about 15 years), they have jammed when the up-and-down mechanism for the control valve(s) which has O-rings on a shaft to cover and uncover ports, and is moved by the cams, fails to move when the rings have become worn or there is wear, erosion or an accumulation of deposits from the water on the other parts. It is possible to strip, clean and replace parts, but unless you enjoy tinkering, you might find there is a local water softener co who offers servicing, or reconditioning with perhaps an exchange option. In my English home l am currently using a recon Permutit machine, it had new softening granules and I think the control head might be a replacement, it shows no signs of age. I got it from a company in Essex when I used to travel through there frequently. There is hardly anything that can go wrong, apart from the control head.

My last two machines had Fleck heads, and I was under the impression that this was the most common make, but one of the plumbers on here told me that was rubbish.
Useful pic here (American site)
http://www.fleckvalves.com/valve_re-builds.htm

Thanks for the info guys. I did find an YouTube video that shows how to strip the machine down. So next weekend i will strip it down and look for any obvious issues. I did quickly remove the injector and that looked clean. Failing that i will look for a professional to service it for me.

I am certainly learning a little about water softeners!!

Thanks for the info guys. I did find an YouTube video that shows how to strip the machine down. So next weekend i will strip it down and look for any obvious issues. I did quickly remove the injector and that looked clean. Failing that i will look for a professional to service it for me.

I am certainly learning a little about water softeners!!

a clean, and new "O" rings with a bit of silicone grease, should help if my experience matches yours. It is quite difficult to find the grease in ordinary retailers.

Hi again. Thinking that the control unit is pretty much screwed I was considering replacing it with and new digital one. Such as this http://www.wrekinwatersofteners.co.uk/wrekinwatersofteners/final.asp?id=473

Just to check my thinking, replacing the unit would simply be a matter of unscrewing the old one and then screwing the new one onto the resin tank? And the connecting the water hoses to the new control unit..

Or is there some facet that I am overlooking?

How old is that softener? The resin doesn't last forever so if it's getting on a bit you might be as well to ditch the whole thing and buy a new one

How old is that softener? The resin doesn't last forever so if it's getting on a bit you might be as well to ditch the whole thing and buy a new one
No idea. I moved into the house a year ago, so i have no history with the unit..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back