Water Softener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’re probably going to be moving shortly to Lincoln which appears to be a hard water area so will be looking at domestic water softeners. Jus wanting advice and suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
Go for a Harvey Dualflo
No explanation as to why? There are so many options and so many criteria for choosing.

I've dismissed the fancy expensive ones recommenfed by the used car dealers sorry salesmen and whittled it down to 3, all similarly priced around £500 - £550.

But how to choose - easiest to istall, most reliable, cheapest to run....

Reviews are unhelpful - each have their advocates and each have their detractors.

Kinetico Kube
tapworksNSC11pro
Water2BuyWTB200

As best as I can tell:

Electric: Kinetico Kube no; tapworksNSC11pro & Water2BuyWTB200 yes
Warranty: K 2 years; T & W 7 years
Salt: K block or tablet; T tablet or pellet; W crystal or any
regen time: K metered but could be any time ; T & W metered but always regen at night
regen frequency (at 525 hard water): K after 256 litres used; W after 550 litres T every 3-4 days
regen time: K 12 minutes W 30-45 mins T 1 hour
Regen salt used: K 0.27kg W 1.8kg T 0.42-1.63kg
Regen water used: K 25 litres W 30-40 litres T 49 litres
max pressure: K 8 bar W 6.89 T 6 bar

Hmmmmmm......

You want one that will regen at night and not in the middle of a shower? Rules out the Kinetico?

Do they state the throughput? You dont want to restrict water flow.

Do you have power where the softener will be located?

Sponsored Links
You can probably get full bore valves and hoses at extra cost, which will impede flow less than the standard

You should get metered regen with timer (unless you want to pay for tandem softeners)

Salt pebbles or granules in sacks are readily available and far cheaper than the blocks.

A larger machine will hold more salt and need refilling less often, and regen less frequently.

Mine holds 60kg which I have delivered a few times a year. I try not to store more than one spare sack.

Never carry salt in your own vehicle. Any spillage will eat a hole in the floor.

Call your local softener companies and ask (1) do you repair softeners (2) do you deliver salt. If yes, ask (3) what softeners do you sell.

Mine has a Fleck head holding all the working parts. Spares widely available and repairers are familiar with it.

If you buy one from a DIY shed you will probably have to throw it away when it goes wrong.

Last edited:
If your looking for 'cost effective ' tablet salt is way cheaper than block .
We pay way less than £10 for 25kg bag.
Have a look at east Midlands water company good range of softeners great service.
We have bought quite a number grom them no issues at all.

You can probably get full bore valves and hoses at extra cost, which will impede flow less than the standard

You should get metered regen with timer (unless you want to pay for tandem softeners)

Salt pebbles or granules in sacks are readily available and far cheaper than the blocks.

A larger machine will hold more salt and need refilling less often, and regen less frequently.

Mine holds 60kg which I have delivered a few times a year. I try not to store more than one spare sack.

Never carry salt in your own vehicle. Any spillage will eat a hole in the floor.

Call your local softener companies and ask (1) do you repair softeners (2) do you deliver salt. If yes, ask (3) what softeners do you sell.

Mine has a Fleck head holding all the working parts. Spares widely available and repairers are familiar with it.

If you buy one from a DIY shed you will probably have to throw it away when it goes wrong.
Thanks John. Haven't checked throughput. Will do.
Previous owners left diverter in place where their softener was (removed) with 22mm piping. Just need to cobbect hoses.
as shown all 3 meter the water though the Kinetico just regenerates when needed irrespective of time of day. As specialk says, that rules out K
All can use tablet
Will check how much salt they hold though frequency of regen is as stated (though getting firm stats is hdiffucult and depends on water hardness apparantly)
All very well telling me what yours does but without knowing which you have......

Do you have power where the softener will be located?
Yes there's power.

Have a look at east Midlands water company good range of softeners great service.
We have bought quite a number grom them no issues at all.
Which have you bought? How did you decide? How did they differ?

22mm pipes are great, so you need big hoses and valves.

Mine is a reconditioned 20 year old Permutit, my second, unlikely you will be able to buy one other than from a reputable local company.

The resin is easily available in the trade, the Fleck head is easily serviced, there are no other working parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back