water softener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering installing a water softener to address skin allergies. Our plumber recommended adding a separate pipeline for this purpose. However, I'm concerned about the potential costs involved in both labor and materials. Is it feasible to install a water softener without installing new pipelines? If so, what alternative options are available?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by a new pipeline? Out to the road to connect to the watermain? Is your old one narrow, old, iron, or lead?

What do you mean by a new pipeline? Out to the road to connect to the watermain? Is your old one narrow, old, iron, or lead?
Sorry for the confusion. His suggestion was, to run separate pipeline for water softener within the house.

You need your drinking water on a dedicated supply. So the water softener is installed from a Tee. Shouldn't add any noticeable cost.

Sponsored Links
OP,
FWIW:
Water Softeners have had much criticism in the past because:
1. Health reasons - its been claimed that you will take in/somehow absorb excessive salt?
2. For environmental reasons - waste water from water softeners adds another ingredient to pollution of soil or extra costs at the water treatment plants.

We need dedicated water supply, if we want to bathrooms as well?
No, it is common practice to have an unsoftened water tap in the kitchen for drinking. This is usually not a significant cost.

You do not need unsoftened water elsewhere.

There are claims for both sides - safe or unsafe?
Even friendly reports for safe admit theres a health risk for certain people.
I've opened up jammed taps & shower valves, and cleaned out tiny lumps of the softener material.
Getting that amount - particles not traces - in ones body cant be good.

I could show the sodium figures, yet again, but why bother?

There is no salt in the softened water.

"tiny lumps of the softener material" - I mention neither sodium nor salt in post 9.
Perhaps you dont know that salt is sodium - sodium chloride.
There are "figures" for both sides - yet you reject the health argument against using water softeners - cant be bothered is not an argument.
Significant percentages of western populations have high blood pressure - all are at some degree of risk
especially the elderly and sick.

Perhaps you dont know that salt is sodium - sodium chloride.

Of course I do.

I also know that softened water does not contain salt.

Didn't you know that?

I'm considering installing a water softener to address skin allergies.
Are you talking about the water you drink, or the water you use for washing with?
Specificaally, what do you hope to remove from your water?
Also, have you checked the water quality report to see what is in the water in your area? You might not need a softener?
It is available from your water supplier.

Softened water will leave you clothes, sheets and towels softer. It will dissolve and rinse away the residue of soap, scum, limescale and wax, and you will need far less product in future. This might be why it is easier on the skin. It will wash the soap residue off your hands, and at first you will be puzzled by how slippery your hands feel when you wash them. Your hair will be softer and shinier without the residue.

One of the fun things you can do when you first get a softener, is run the washing machine, empty, on a hot cotton wash. The water will go grey and foam up as it dissolves the resident sludge of old soap, scale and dirt out of the drum.

You can wash your towels with no powder because it will dissolve the residue caked into the fibres.

You will not need fabsoft again.

Your whites will wash whiter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back