Water Softner / Water Filter system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of installing a water softener in my house as our water is circa 440ppm. I've done a bit of research and it looks like the better softeners are the ones that use resin combined with regeneration using salt.

My only concern is that this obviously puts salt into the water which I would prefer not to drink on health grounds. Has anyone installed a water softener along with a separate water filter so drinking water is supplied separately through the water filter and the rest of the water supply to the house is through the water softener?

Also can anyone make recommendations on manufacturers, suppliers etc?

Sponsored Links
the softener you describe does not add salt to the water. The salt is used to regenerate the resin bed. It is rinsed away during the regeneration cycle, during which time the supply to the taps bypasses the softener. There should never be any salt in the water coming out of your taps. If there is, the regeneration cycle has not completed correctly and you have an unusual fault in the softener.

I'd suggest looking for a local water softener company. Your first question should be "do you repair softeners." Mine go about 10 years before needing a repair, I find the "O" ring seals on the valve wear out. Your second question should be "do you deliver salt". Don't carry sacks of salt in your own car, the tiniest spill will corrode a hole through the floor. Look inside the delivery van and you will be amazed. If you are a skinflint like me, you may find that the local company reconditions softeners with new resin and new wearing parts, and sells them at an attractive price with a guarantee.

Companies that advertise in the Sunday papers or put brochures through your door tend to be overpriced.

You can install it yourself if you are handy with DIY plumbing. It is about as hard as fitting a washing machine, including new pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back