Water softner/filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in London where the water is hard and some of the water main pipes are possibly still made of lead. I'd like to filter out heavy metals and limescale to protect my boiler, appliances and also my health.

There are lots of options in the market designed to soften the water, filter it or both. Each manufacturer claims that their system is the best so how to choose? I would be grateful if any of you learned people who use or install these filter/softeners could recommend a good, high flow and effective solution. Thanks

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: ih
Sponsored Links
you are talking about several different things.

If you are interested in lead, ask the water co to test your drinking water for lead content (free). That will tell you if you have a problem. if you have lead pipes in your house, replace them. There is a faint chance you will qualify for a lead replacement subsidy. You can get cartridge filters that you can use on a miniature drinking water tap in your kitchen. No need to use that in your bathwater.

If you are interested in limescale, get an ion-exchange water softener (the "Permutit" method). It will need replenishing with salt periodically, which it uses to regenerate the resin bed. It does not add the salt to the water. It is possible that drinking hard water is better for the heart so you can run a pipe for unsoftened water to your miniature drinking tap if you want.

The water in London is not especially hard.

You can get devices which claim to act by passing magic waves or magnetism through the water. These do not work.

I'm intrigued how you know that the magnetic and magic waves don't work.

BG plc spent a fortune developing one of those (HydroPath). General consensus is that certain electromagnetic types do alter the state of limescale to prevent it from sticking to surfaces, but it is the reasons that are debated, rather than whether it makes a difference.

What are your credentials to offer your advice so confidently? I expect you've researched this report?

http://jerseywatersolutions.com/wp-...LabTest-British-Gas-INSTANT-WATER-HEATERS.pdf

Many of us in the trade (which you are not in) use the Hydropath.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back