Filter or Softner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
As I live in a hard water area I am getting a lot of limescale bits out of my bath taps, toilet system and shower when the water is first flowed through after period of no activity.
These systems are supplied by the tank in my loft. The bathroom sink cold tap and rest of house is supplied direct from the mains.
Due to the fact that I have a whirlpool bath and a shower pump I would like to protect these and the taps from the build up of limescale.
I was thinking of installing something just before the tank in my loft as I am not too concerned about the appliances downstairs as these can be protected with the use of products like Calgon and water filter jugs.
What I am asking is do I require a filter or a softner or are they the same thing?
Also does anybody know of any decent products that can do this task.
Not really on a budget and am prepared to pay good money as long as it does the task.
I have seen a product in B&Q which has push fit connections to fit into 15mm pipe. Its called Permutit scale inhibitor and comes with a cannistor that has to be changed once a year.
I have also seen by the same manufacturer and item called an Electrolytic In-Line Scale Combat which requires no maintenance. Has anyone heard of this?
Any advice greatly apprecieated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back