Hard water and inline heaters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly our water is hard, very hard in fact as we live at the foot of the Cotswolds. I have looked at conditioners and softners. The electric conditioners are either regarded as good or a waste of time depending on what you read. Seem to be easy to install which is a good reason for "too good to be true". The softners need salt and would appear that you need one tap before the softner i.e the kitchen or your water tastes salty.

What I want is whole house mains pressure limescale free water. Maybe I am asking too much but currently we can kill a kettle in just over a year...

Secondly I am installing a downstairs bathroom and was keen on running just a cold water feed as the walls are very thick and it isn't going to be used on a daily basis. I was thinking on installing an inline heater unit to feed the shower and basin. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Fit a Water softener to serve all but the Kitchen cold tap, to this tap install a Carbon Filter to improve the taste and resuce the scale ;)

Thank you for the reply. It would appear that Kinetico are now Harvey Water Softners. I was recommended this make.

You leave one tap unsoftened to meet the water recommendations because the jury is out on drinking softened water. You fit a carbon filter on this tap to make it taste good.

It would appear that drinking softened water is not bad just more sodium which might cause some people issues...

Monarch Softeners are very good, as well, leaving Cold Kitchen tap on hard supply but via a carbon filter will solve your problem (the softener Co will also supply the Hard water filter) ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back