water softner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently installed a Classic glass shower enclosure and are having problems keeping it clean because of hard water. The shower gets used about 8 times each day and the limescale is terrible. We are considering some type of water softner to help but are unsure which ones would actually work - any advice gratefully received.
Also can anyone recommend a good cleaner that is safe to use on the aliminum frame.

Sponsored Links
Cillit Bang is good on limescale but you need to clean regularly.
Water softeners are good and my friend swears by his, but they are around £400-500 plus fitting charge.

You need to purchase the salts which costs my friend about £6 a month to run. :D

I have tried cillit bang, but unfortunately I did not read the small print and it has left white marks all over the aluminum frame of my shower enclosure. I have had trouble finding a cleaner that is safe, which is why I thought a water softner might help a bit.

I have read that the magnetic and electronic ones don't work

I have a magnetic type and have found it does make a small difference as the scale build up in my kettle has reduced and comes away from the kettle walls.

A neighbour spent £200 on a electronic one and recommends it. Worth a try and will be cheaper than a softener. Maybe one of the guys will have a link for you. (wheres Kev) :D

Sponsored Links
A week solution of vinegar should do the trick. Limescale is alkali and vinegar is acid, perfect match! Should be OK on the aluminium, although somebody may correct me.

It works OK with neat vinegar on stainless steel sinks, I speak from experience of cleaning up after a joker plasterer who decided it would be a good idea to mix plaster in my kitchen sink, grrrr :mad:

But I must say it looked better than new after the vinegar, just wash off with normal bathroom cleaner and there should be no smell. :LOL:

Andrew

Unless the device has a salt container it`s not a softener (ion exchange) but a type of water conditioner ,which modifies the crystals of the chalk in the water to prevent them sticking together and building up, the water has the same hardness. I live in Sussex ;) ;)

Thanks - I did not know that - question is do water conditioners work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back