choosing a water softner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We live in a hard water area and have been recommended to get a water softner fitted. Are there any negatives to getting one of these fitted? Whats a good brand? Do water softners stop those annoying water marks from being left all over the bathroom (ie on shower door, taps...)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi iam no expert on the subject am sure there are more qualified to advise. I had this problem of hard water and installed Kinetico water softner 11 years ago. It is on the expensive side but cannot fault it it does its job there are 3 members in the family so the running cost fiver a month! depends on the usage.You can get info if you google Kinetico. Hope this helps.
ih

Softened water will reduce the amount of cleaning you have to do and you will use less soap and shampoo, but it doesn't stop soap splashes building up on the tiles/shower, etc.

Go for one which regenerates on amount of water softened, not the cheaper ones that regenerate every night come what may. They waste salt which is also a downside because you have to buy it!

You may also need to be careful with water flow capacity if you have high water demand from power showers, etc and an unvented HW tank.

You'll still get water marks, but with soft water they are soluble, so they will go if you wipe down.

Cheap softener types regenerate on a timer, so you have to set regeneration day according to maximum water use. Thus costs more in salt.

More expensive has a water meter, so only regenerates when necessary.

Most expensive has water meter and two cylinders, thus you still get soft water during regeneration.

Control types are either electric or hydraulic (work on the mains pressure). IMO hydraulic are better than electric.

Salt type can be granules, thumb-sized tablets or bricks. Bricks are the most convenient.

If you have a combi or unvented HW system, you must make sure the softener is a high-flow type.

Check reviews. There are some right turkeys out there! Click for Reviews

Sponsored Links
I live in a very hard water, I have a Permutit and cannot recommend it too highly. A softener is fantastic and I would not be without mine.

However I understand from my supplier that the brand was bought up by another maker who now put it on a lower-quality machine.

You can either buy a cheapish machine from a DIY shed and throw it away when it goes wrong, or see what suppliers there are in your area who provide service and maintenance, and see what they recommend.

I am now on my second machine, I have only had three faults in 20 years. The metering valves eventually wear out or jam and need replacement or new O-rings. When I had my third fault I got a recon machine instead of having the old one repaired.

Agree about getting one with Metered regeneration.

I use 20 kg bags of salt tablets, these are quite heavy so remember to put the machine in a convenient place for putting salt in, preferably close to the door. I get my salt delivered every 6 months by my local supplier. Salt spillage is very corrosive.

I installed a Fountain Homewater 300 from Fountain Softeners a year ago. No electric needed as it uses a meter.
Not cheap but excellent, difference is fantastic as we are in a very hard water area, no more limescale!
Get salt delivered from online supplier or buy from local plumb centre.

Thanks.

I have a combi boiler downstairs and a hw cylinder upstairs with power showers running off it. I assume i need v high flow rate for that?

I haven't got a water softener and live in a hard water area. I really don't see the point of having one, given the expense of purchase and running costs. They tend to make getting dirt off things more, rather than less, difficult as the poor old detergent or soap molecules can't find the water to attach to, in order to carry the dirt away.

One of these may do what you need for the combi boiler.

I really don't see the point of having one, given the expense of purchase and running costs.

Scaled shower heads (and corrosion from acid descalers), taps, shower cubicle screens, kettles, washing machine element, when I replaced the HW cylinder and there was about ten inches of scale deposits in the bottom. Soap scum, lots of shower gel , shampoo to even get a lather. I could go on:)

When I re did the bathroom I decided that £600 for a softener and a few bags of salt a year were worth preserving thousnds of pounds worth of bathroom in nice new condition because no matter what you do you can't clean off and prevent the limescale.

I put a softner in my last house at the same time had a combi boiler fitted.

When I moved I fitted one on day 1 in my new house - Once you have had one you will never live in a house without one again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back