is it ok to use a different type of water softner salt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a Harvey's water softner and have been buying the block salt which is designed for our type of softner. The salt costs around £5 for 2 blocks (8kg) however we are getting through 4-6 (16-24kg) blocks a month which is much more then we had anticipated (we are 2 adults + 2 young kids & are careful about how much water we use).

A friend says they buy a 25 kilo bag (£25) of tablet/granular salt for their softner and it lasts them around 3 months! They are also 2 adults & 2 kids. They DONT have a Harveys softner though.

My question is can we use tablet/granular salt in our Harveys softner? What could possibly go wrong if we did? Are Harveys known for being high in their salt usage or is there possibly a problem with our softner?

I did ring Harveys and they seemed to think that 4-6 blocks is normal for our household. I just cant see why we are spending £15 a month & using 24kg on salt when friends are spending £25 and using 25 kg in 3 months!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Confused!! 25Kg Tablet salt is about £7-00 a bag,, I have 4 people in my house in area with 400ppm hardness (Bl**dy Hard!!) I use ONE 25Kg bag per month which costs about £7-00 per month NOT £25!!.. Block salt although not cheap should be very economic I can't rmember how hard Berkshire water is but it occurs to me that your softener is either not correctly set or is faulty as it would appear to be regenerating too regulalrly, I would get a Water softener engineer to come and check it and NO you should not use tablet salt in a softener designed for blocks!

as for your neighbour?...away with the fairies i suspect!! :rolleyes:

Confused!! 25Kg Tablet salt is about £7-00 a bag,, I have 4 people in my house in area with 400ppm hardness (Bl**dy Hard!!) I use ONE 25Kg bag per month which costs about £7-00 per month NOT £25!!.. Block salt although not cheap should be very economic I can't rmember how hard Berkshire water is but it occurs to me that your softener is either not correctly set or is faulty as it would appear to be regenerating too regulalrly, I would get a Water softener engineer to come and check it and NO you should not use tablet salt in a softener designed for blocks!

as for your neighbour?...away with the fairies i suspect!! :rolleyes:

Hi. Berkshire is also bl**dy hard.
So is it possible to adjust a water softner so it regenerates less often? I assumed it was factory set and sealed. Is it something i could do? Harveys charge a £50 call out fee! Guess i could find a local guy...? Just want to be sure that it is fixable.

I do hear it regenerating often ie 1-2 times per day. Is that normal?

just thought... both you and me are using 25kg per month so maybe mine is working ok? its just that 25kg costs me £15. perhaps block salt isnt the economical option, rather i am paying for the convenience of having a handy sized block rather than having to scoop granules or tablets from garage to the softner?

Sponsored Links
Your Softener should not be regenerating twice a day! this is definately wrong if correctly sized should regen at the most once in two days!
My Monarch regens once in Three days unless more water than normal has been used! tablet salt is cheaper than blocks, but shop around i save £2 a bag by using a local salt wholesaler and i buy a Years supply at a time (12 Bags) ;)

Yes it is fine to use tablet (or granular) salt with your blaock salt machine. Much cheaper. Machine manufacturer just wants you to pay sky-high prices for block salt. Ignore any statement that says it will invalidate the warranty.

I wonder in what way he is qualified to make that claim?

Yes it is fine to use tablet (or granular) salt with your blaock salt machine. Much cheaper. Machine manufacturer just wants you to pay sky-high prices for block salt. Ignore any statement that says it will invalidate the warranty.

I've always thought that, but have never had a block salt machine to test the theory.

Softeners do not use salt to regenerate, they use brine, salt solution. I wish someone could explain the difference between brine made with salt blocks and brine made with salt tablets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back