Water Softner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having an extension carried out at the moment and been in a hard water area, I would like to buy a water softener or a Limescale reducer but have been unable to get any good advise as yet.
Could you please advise do I need to go to the expense of buying a water softner? If so which would you recommend. If the Limescale reducer is the answer again which one should I get?

Sponsored Links
you need a cisternmiser combimate usually about 100 quid, easy to plumb in too.. only draw back is crystals usually need replacing every 6-12mths ;)

naaah, you need a proper water softener with a cylinder full of synthetic resin, and a compartment that you put salt in. Fantastic in a real hard water area. Wouldnpt be without it.

Get one with automatically metered recycling.

No opinion on brands. I have a Permutit which used to be top quality but has apparently been bought up by some other company that makes cheap rubbish and sells at high price due to the name and reputation.

Limefighter and similar operate 'with magnets' and in some cases 'with electronics' but only create a TEMPORARY softening effect. I don't understand the details of HOW they work (or indeed IF they work at all) but they're ONLY useful for protecting combi heat exchangers and other situations where the water does NOT get stored while hot.

Siliphos, Combimate and other gadgets 'with crystals' slowly dissolve the crystals into the passing water and prevent the calcium sulphate, etc., 'precipitating out' as limescale. You must NOT drink water with siliphos in it. The crystals usually last 6 months to a year, then need topping up.

A 'proper' water softener uses an 'ion-exchange resin' to PERMANENTLY change the water by taking OUT calcium (which can form insoluble limescale) and replacing it with sodium (sodium salts are mostly soluble). But you are advised NOT to drink softened water (and anyway it tastes a bit unpleasant). Ion-exchange softeners are best if they include a meter to determine when regeneration is needed. They use bulk salt to regenerate - which although it MUST be 'food-grade' is still charged VAT!

Sponsored Links
im not gonna disagree to much but where i live we get away with combimates

I thought the water in Co Durham was reasonably soft 'out of the tap'....
Not like good old London river water!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back