Water Softner installation advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of fitting a water softner. I came across this product, https://www.water2buy.com/shop/water-softener-meter-water2buy-200/ seems to fit the budget and gets good reviews and costs less than 1/4 of Harveys etc.

My problem is the unit is too tall to fit under the sink. If I move it somewhere else it needs additional plumbing and I will loose a valuable storage space. I will post the pictures of the kitchen later today. I was checking the plumbing yesterday and I found the mains pipe. What is this valve in the picture? Closing this didn't stop the cold water.
thumbnail_image1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like a washing machine valve (blue handle) with a "flood stop" washing machine connector above it.

Your mains input is much more likely to be controlled by a stop c*ck (look it up on the internet), but it could be a lever valve.

Sponsored Links
If you're short of space, consider a corner of the kitchen (if you don't have corner units)

You will still need to get at the softener, especially for adding salt, sometimes for maintenance.

You can hinge a piece of worktop with counter-flap or bar-hinges

s-l200.jpg

Softeners are very heavy when full, so better standing on the floor than inside a cupboard

Fit full-bore valves, and large-bore hoses for improved water flow, especially if you have a combi. The large-bore ones are more expensive.

Also consider looking up your local water-softener merchant (there will be one) especially if they provide service and repairs. They may sell an own brand and be reluctant to repair other cheap makes. They probably also deliver salt (never carry it in your own car, a single spilled grain can eat a hole through the floor)

Last edited:
If you're short of space, consider a corner of the kitchen (if you don't have corner units)

You will still need to get at the softener, especially for adding salt, sometimes for maintenance.

You can hinge a piece of worktop with counter-flap or bar-hinges

s-l200.jpg

Softeners are very heavy when full, so better standing on the floor than inside a cupboard

Fit full-bore valves, and large-bore hoses for improved water flow, especially if you have a combi. The large-bore ones are more expensive.

Also consider looking up your local water-softener merchant (there will be one) especially if they provide service and repairs. They may sell an own brand and be reluctant to repair other cheap makes. They probably also deliver salt (never carry it in your own car, a single spilled grain can eat a hole through the floor)

Bloody ell... Now that's going off on a tangent :confused:

I am thinking of fitting a water softner. I came across this product, https://www.water2buy.com/shop/water-softener-meter-water2buy-200/ ....... costs less than 1/4 of Harveys

With good reason, by the looks of it. For a start, it's not been WRAS approved for connection to a mains water supply, so it can't legally be fitted in the UK at all unless it's softening water from a storage tank. Only one cylinder, so it'll only soften water when it's not regenerating (Harvey's can soften and regenerate at the same time), and it can't take block salt. I'd contest that it's less than ¼ of the price of a Harvey one as well - I supply and fit Harvey ones for £1200... Other than that, yeah, possibly a good deal :-/

it's not been WRAS approved for connection to a mains water supply, so it can't legally be fitted in the UK at all unless it's softening water from a storage tank.

Are you sure that's true?

this bit
it can't legally be fitted in the UK at all unless it's softening water from a storage tank.

Are you sure it is a legal requirement?

You don't agree with this statement:

"Is WRAS Approval a legal requirement? While all water fittings and associated materials must by law conform with the Water Supply Regulations, there is no legal requirement to obtain WRAS Approval; it is simply the easiest and most reliable way of demonstrating compliance."

see also https://www.wras.co.uk/news/wras_ne...pproved_or_not_approved_wras_is_the_question/

I am thinking of fitting a water softner. I came across this product, https://www.water2buy.com/shop/water-softener-meter-water2buy-200/ seems to fit the budget and gets good reviews and costs less than 1/4 of Harveys etc.

My problem is the unit is too tall to fit under the sink. If I move it somewhere else it needs additional plumbing and I will loose a valuable storage space. I will post the pictures of the kitchen later today. I was checking the plumbing yesterday and I found the mains pipe. What is this valve in the picture? Closing this didn't stop the cold water.View attachment 170745
I had oneof them, it broke within a year, truly crap.I ended up with a Monarxh dual softener, excellent quality.

Looks like a washing machine valve (blue handle) with a "flood stop" washing machine connector above it.

Your mains input is much more likely to be controlled by a stop c*ck (look it up on the internet), but it could be a lever valve.
I dont think its a washing machine valve as the kitchen tap copper pipes connect to it after this valve before the washing machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back