Water stains in the loft after heavy snow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a bout of very heavy snow and extreme cold temperatures in South Yorkshire and I popped up into the loft to get the Xmas decorations out. I noticed around half a dozen water stains on the chipboard floor which I never noticed before each around the size of a mug base...all were now dry.
Looking at the roof we seem to have tiles straight onto wooden beams and lats with no other felt or membrane and many of the tiles are wet but not actually dripping as it is warmer today and the snow has cleared.
The house is a semi built in the 30's and I believe this is the original roof. There is no obvious sign of damage and a tv installer recently went up and said the roof looked in good condition. I don't know the technical term but the roof slopes on all sides except that which adjoins next door.
So, is this normal given the extreme weather we recently had or is it a sign of something that need looking into? In the 15 years we have been here I have not seen this before but then again I never same weather like this.
Also, is it normal for the tiles to be visible like this and they seem to have cement in the joins which is crumbling off regularly. Oh, and the main roof beams are slightly damp where the meet the tiles. There is however, no sign of dripping or running water.
Sorry for the long first post, just trying to cover all the details in one go. Any ideas?[/b]

Sponsored Links
Sounds like condensation. The tiles will have been extremely cold and possibly snow has been blocking any slight ventilation you may have had between them so moisture rising into the attic (from baths, showers, cooking, drying washing and general life) may have been condensing and dripping.

Try spending a night in a snowhole in the Cairngorms and cooking a meal if you want to know about a dripping ceiling....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back