Water supply pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have got a leak somewhere in my water supply pipe to the house, is there any way of locating the leak without having to dig up the whole pipe by hand and my neighbours patio.
Also is it ok to just repair the damaged section of pipe,or replace the whole thing.
Cant find any sign of the leak in the garden.

Its a blue plastic supply pipe.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if it is plastic, it is unlikely to have burst. Look first at any joints, especially at the boundary or where it comes into the house, or at any point where it might have been damaged by excavation. You can drill a shallow hole through concrete paths and poke a stick down to see if it is wet.

call your local water company who will be good at fionding leaks and may help fix it as well.

If you know the line of the pipe, get a long metal stake and push it in the ground over the pipe, you should be able to hear the leak, if you put your ear to the end of the stake.

Move along the pipe, it will be louder as you get to the leak.

How have you determined that your leak is in the outside section of pipe?

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the help, have contacted my water supplier (Scottish Water) and they are going to send out their leakage team to determin the problem and mark off any leaks with thier equipment.

The problem stemmed from a loss of pressure in my village with a loss of 70 cubic meters of water over a day and a half,when they shut off my supply to the house the leak stopped,although no water in the house or showing in the ground and drive.

With a bit of luck this should save my back a bit.

That works out 34 litres / minute.

Must be a small village.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back