Water supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to put some wall on some concrete. The concrete foundations would surround the water supply pipe.

Is there a protective cover for such a job? Do I need one?

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Need a bit more info, are you saying footing for the wall over the water supply pipe maybe?

Yes, that's right.

I have just read my original post. Hmm, not too clear. Sorry! :oops:

To clarify: I have dug a trench to build a wall on. Near the top at one part is the water supply pipe running into the house. I would like to fill this trench with concrete for the footings for the wall - do I need to protect the water supply pipe in any way?

1129495185_59FE0272.jpg

(The water in the picture is where I have washed something and will drain away).

Many thanks for your help.

If the foundations are for something structural, like an abode, then I believe you need building control approval.

You may also find then that you're required to put the water supply pipe at a minimum depth.

I believe (but haven't checked today) that the Water Regulations require you to duct the supply pipe so that (a) it's protected and (b) it can be replaced without disrupting the surrounding foundations. A bit of drainpipe would be adequate ducting, I believe, but if you have iron pipe this is going to get fraught, not that you have any choice about it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your very quick reply - can you clarify what you mean about ducting? Thanks. Do you mean - get some plastic waste pipe, cut down the middle of it on one side, and manipulate it round the existing pipe?

(It's not structural by the way, just decorative).

knownothing said:
Thanks for your very quick reply - can you clarify what you mean about ducting? Thanks. Do you mean - get some plastic waste pipe, cut down the middle of it on one side, and manipulate it round the existing pipe?

(It's not structural by the way, just decorative).

Ah - if decorative then it's a piece of cake! Just wrap denzo tape around the iron pipe (it is iron isn't it?) to prevent attack by the cement, then I suggest you add some loadbearing protection around the pipe - make a little brick lintel for example, on brick piers. Or a hemisphere of suitably large guage concrete pipe.

Ideally you won't pour concrete directly onto the pipe, because that would create a lump of concrete that, if it shifted as a result of ground movement, would break the pipe like a sparrow's leg.

Hope that helps.
S.

Thank you (it's lead).

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here - is this what you mean?

1129497451_water.JPG

And I'm hoping my builder's merchants know what Denzo tape is!

knownothing said:
Thank you (it's lead).

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here - is this what you mean?

Yes! Nice drawing - and so quick :)

knownothing said:
And I'm hoping my builder's merchants know what Denzo tape is!

They will. And if they don't, go to one that does. It looks like flypaper and smells nasty. And you won't want to get the stuff on your hands, but you won't avoid it :evil:

S.

Don't want to make your job bigger but should be thinking about replacing the lead pipe with blue plastic pipe.

I agree. Sorry, but I wouldnt want my family drinking water coming out of a potentially poisonous lead pipe!

To be honest (and all in my humble opinion) the lead pipe thing isn't a danger insofar as it's lead - lead's been used as a pipe material for many, many years and you don't see thousands and housands of people falling under the cosh of lead poisoning (the rash of carcinogens, fatty foods and other bobbins is far more likely to get you). Admittedly it's a long term risk if you drink lots of water repeatedly for a long period of time that itself has been standing in a pipe for a long time and the water has hence been contaminated by contact for a long period with the lead (lead oxidising?? I was rubbish at chemistry :confused: ) But as long as you run the tap for a short while if you've not been running it for a few days the risk is minimal.
What to me is the bigger risk is that the pipe could fracture or something and leak - especially bad if you're on a meter.
While I don't dispute that the risk of lead pipes is present - it would seem a bit costly to rip it our just on the health angle alone.

Just MHO of course - not stirring at all ;)

It not so much about lead poisoning because the internal pipe are scaled up anyway but the problem is most lead pipe are over 70 years old and start to get pin-hole leaks, repair it, then another leaks somewhere else :cry:

Agree with Masona.and the lead goes crystalline and bursts.get it out and put in 25mm MDPE blue in a purpose made sleeve.total cost under £100.Water boars will replace stopcock in path F.O.C.and you will have no probs when you sell...with these new buyers reports :!: Lead+asbestos etc. :rolleyes:

Note that Three Valleys Water have recently started charging for doing that kind of work, so it's no longer FOC, although I believe they offer deals if you have a meter installed, which may even be an free installation.

No dispute with the lead on the basis of bursts due to old age - more on the scare of "it's lead so it'll send all who drink it mental" basis - and just coz I'm an arguementative sod :)

You've also got to consider the chaos it'll cause in some houses - in my gaff the water comes up in the kitchen about 5 meters inside the walls, and bearing in mind it a solid concrete floor to fit a new pipr would be a right faff (involve re-routing the pipework / stopcock location plus going through the concrete floor, DPM etc etc) - ok there's always the risk of the sellers pack affecting things in the future like old pipes etc etc but there's always hope that it'll continue to be slapped downm time after time till it goes away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back