Water Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone can advise or even if this is the correct thread but here goes.

My water supply is connected to the main water supply via my next door neighbours house. In other words his house is connected to the main supply and then in his property he has a number of adjoining pipes which go to other peoples homes. I'm told it was a botch job by the original builders who converted offices in homes.

On the 2nd November he is going to cut these pipes which will in affect cut off our water supply.

I've tried my local water authority, the consumer council for water, my local council (who actually might be helpful) and basically I'm told my neighbour is morally wrong in doing what he is doing but its a private matter.

Obviously I've tried discussing with my neighbour but he is adamant is going to carry through this work.

Which leaves me with a massive problem. Basically I would need to get a new water supply for the local water authority but the whole procedure is a nightmare and the costs could reach around 2k. Sadly I don't have that kind of money.

I own the house and it just seems wrong to me that we can have our water cut off by another resident and there is nothing we can do about it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Jason

Sponsored Links
Try and get hold of a copy of his deeds from the land registry to see if there are any covenents covering this.

If you're paying water rates I would have thought the water authority have an obligation to instate a separtate supply FOC. If you're not paying rates, did you never wonder why?

Hi HotRod,

We just pay rates.

Yorkshire Water have been pretty unhelpful so far. They have basically said he shouldn't be doing what he is doing but they can't do anything about it

Sponsored Links
Hi rjm2k

I've got my deeds from the land registy and today and this is the bit which I think is relevant

Once again thanks for your advice. I'm begining to get a bit of a foothold into all this now.

Managed to speak again with Yorkshire Water who were actually down at the property today to assess if the pipes are legal or not. So clearly this hadn't been done before issuing the letter.

It was actually my Dad who spoke to them because he is doing some work at mine. They told him that nothing could be done until the legallity of the pipes had been confirmed. They also went on to say that if they are illegal then he would be liable for any changes made to the supply and he would be responsible to ensure everyone else had a supply.

I've managed to get my deeds today. Can I give you an excert

2 The land has the benefit of the rights granted by but is subject

as mentioned in a Conveyance of the land in this title and other

land dated 5 January 1962 made between (1) Margaret Atkinson and

Edward Brooke Heap (Vendors) and (2) John Charles Kilner

(Purchaser) in the following terms:-

"TOGETHER WITH the benefit of and SUBJECT to the existing

arrangement as to ways drains eaves spouts fall pipes gas water

and electric pipes and mains bearing on walls lateral and other

support hanging of clothes and lights and all other existing

arrangements as between the property hereby conveyed and the

adjoining property of the Purchaser and so that all ways drains

spouts pipes mains and other things used jointly shall be

maintainable and repairable by the users thereof in equal shares

Not sure what this really means to be honest. But it seems to me that he can't act solely and just do this on his own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back