Water Transfer Pump Questions

Dig on the other side of the gas pipe.

Or backfill it and have the pump on a pit inside.

Hi Ian, digging on the other side is not possible mate, because also immediately inline with the gas pipe, it's the lead pipe and the main sewer pipe. I've now got a stomach-churning feeling that this is why the builder decided to quit the job, making an excuse of a holiday. I didn't want to mention this, but he has been avoiding my calls for a while...this explains why.

You said backfill it...could you please expand on this for a novice numpty like me? :-
  • Before backfilling do I protect the external side of the foundations with concrete or anything else?
  • What do I do with the standing water which keeps filling up after heavy rain?
  • Originally the bottom 2-3ft had blue clay mixed with rubble...what do I fill it with?
  • Any gravel?
My head's not working today guys, so if I say anything wrong, please forgive me.

Sponsored Links
Seen many cases where a sump pump is inside and under floor level, basements, ground floor bedroom or kitchen but these have a proper lid which is air tight.

As rough as it sounds, I'd remove what water you can then just lash it all back in. How deep and long is the trench?

The trench is approx 3 metres long and 2 feet wide near the ground-level tarmac. But the width narrows to around 1 foot near the bottom (lower than footing stones). It's approx 6 foot in height

Sponsored Links
Sorry...I edited my post just a second ago. It's approx 6 foot deep

Okay, so:
  • Drain the water in the trench
  • Back-fill using standard soft clay, compacting it as I go (no concrete or gravel???)
I know this might be me being a bit over-worried, but what happens to the water that will build-up afterwards? Would it push the foundations? Would I need to do anything to release the water pressure?

Oh and Ian, thanks very much again...This goes for everyone whom has helped me.

Back fill with what came out and compact as you go.

I repair drains and never find anything special or unusual when I dig down next to house walls. It's always mud, soil, clay or a mixture of them all.

The water will be displaced by the back fill so it would have to find its way to the inside again.

That's really appreciated. You guys have all been very very helpful and I can't thank you enough. Keep up the good work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back