Water under floorboards after heavy rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know this is a fairly common topic but I wanted to discuss the specifics of my case.

We get 2-3 inches of water under our floorboards at the front of our house after heavy rain. All the drainage has been checked and, while we did find a few problems, these have now been rectified and the problem has not gone away.

The void is very deep at this point, considerably deeper than ground level, and we have a poor block paved drive at the front. The drive has no drainage and when I sprinkle drain dye over the paving at the front when it rains, the dye appears about 12 hours later in the void.

The drive is awful and needs relaying with proper drainage which I am planning to do but I'm concerned this wont fix the problem as the water appears to be coming in through the walls at the bottom of the void. Would we need a french drain as well and is it worth considering filling the void up to 200mm to raise the ground level so that the water does not drain into it. There is no concrete oversite in there at the moment its just earth. We are on heavy clay soil. I know there is the option of a sump pump but i'd rather stop the water coming in and also I'd like t0 lay a new floor which would be difficult with a sump pump and we would need access to it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've looked at this but the land must slope slightly towards the house as the edge of the drive is level with the pavement at the moment and the blocks by the house are already too high. they need lowering if anything as they are only one course below the DPC.

Sponsored Links
Thanks foxhole.

There is a rainwater drain running parallel to the drive which takes the water away from the guttering which would take the water from an aco. Do you think this would be enough, no need for a French drain as well. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just worried we could do a lot of work and still have water ingress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back