Water under house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There has been water leaking from a pipe under my house - probably since it was built 20 years ago. Previous owner did nothing - but I'd been noticing bad smells.

The plumbers say the water from my wahing machine has been discharging from the pipe under the concrete level at the back of the house.

Now - I'm hoping the plumbers can fix the pipe - but I'm worried about the building and structure itself. Any advice welcome before attempts are made to dry things up.

Sponsored Links
water quite often sits under houses, where the crawl space is lower than the water table. Ours once came up to joist level (3ft deep)

Once the pipe is fixed, give it a week or 2 to get rid of the water, then play a fan into the floorspace for a week, giving positive air pressure, which will blow the moisture out of the air bricks. Clearly this will work best where you have a good seal between the floor space and the house. A carpet will do, and cut a board around the fan so no air blows back.

Contact your insurers. They did it for us (did most of the houses on the street too), they will also use a disinfectant "bomb" which sprays disinfectant gas everywhere down there.

Many thanks.

This section of the house (extension) can be shut off - at the moment it is very smelly. Insurance is covering the clean up, but not the broken pipe.

I was worried about the structure of the house itself (90s timber frame).

Thanks again for the reassurance and advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back