Water under house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again guys.....

I was under the house yesterday, 1950s 3 bed semi, has about a 5ft void under the house..... The void is made up in to sections with bricks but I noticed under the kitchen there was a substantial amount of starting water. So much so that's i had to go hire a pump and pump it out. Now this has obviously concerned me greatly. What would cause there to be water under my house to that extent?

A friend said it could be just natural water levels and run off from heavy rain of late. If it was more thogh like a leak somewhere who do I even contact to ascertain what's leaking?

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
In january 2013 you received advice from gregors and myself ref. this house - you neither thanked nor acknowledged us for our suggestions.

under the kitchen, so most likely a water leak. Possibly the incoming water main has pinholed, possibly it is from the sink or washing machine. Is the water clear? how does it smell? have you got a water meter? Where is your stopcock? Do you have anyone aged under 20 available?

Or is it similar to 1930s with a drain outside the kitchen window which needs replacing, the old s bend type built in brickwork. I've had to replace a few.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, thought I replied to all help in the past, but my apologies if I missed someone...

There is no kitchen fitted so no appliances that could leak, the water is always turned off by the stop cock in the kitchen, we are on a meter, I could monitor that over a week without using water? We do not o Chou the house yet... Water is clear and smells ok, I pumped it out last night but it was present to a lower level this morning...
There doesn't appear to be any drain out the back, but the souk stack runs into a drain on the side I think....who would I ring to look into it? A plumber?.

Thank you

turn off the internal stop cock, then go and look at the meter. If the bubble is spinning, water is leaking.

If you turn the stopcock on the meter on and off, a pair of young ears in the (quiet) house will be able to hear the hiss stop and start, and may be able to estimate where it is.

A house of that age may have a steel water pipe, and it is likely to pinhole at the elbow where it turns upwards.

Hi,

I've just got back from a weeks holiday and went straight round to check my water problem under the house... It's mostly gone, a little left but nothing to cause concern I don't think. So it's been a nice weather week in Newcastle when I was away so does that lead to the conclusion that its a natural water level problem? The only other thing I might add is that prior to going on holiday I turned off the water supply to the house at the external stop tap...
Cheers again for replies and advice people

I reckon you have a water leak, it might not be the rising mains, although you had the stop cock off you were also not using any waste.

have you got a water meter, or a person under 20?

How far are you away hay from the Tyne ? it might be creeping under your hoose ;) . Does it still get fog on it .

So you got the stop cock on, all the internal taps off, and the meter doesn't click over?

I think you have a broken salt glaze pipe somewhere.

with the meter, look at the little bubble in the centre. If it spins, water is passing. This is more sensitive than watching the dial.

If you have water tanks in the loft, see if they are dripping. there might be old pipes for a boiler that has been removed, or kitchen taps.

otherwise, yes, salt glaze does break, especially the trap on gullies, and the first bend underground where it turns from vertical to horixontal.

Red worms are a sign of leaking drains.

What's a salt glaze pipe?
I'm going back over later today ill check that bubble, got everything off at present internal and the meter tap too.

Nothing in the house uses water cos its just a shell, no kitchen or bathroom or nothing

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back