Water under house

With 5ft below the floor boards the foundations may well be below the water table. I suspect that this just standing ground water and not a problem, especially as it was almost dry after a dry period and wet after heavy rain.

Sponsored Links
"salt glaze" means clay pipes. Unlike a clay flowerpot which is absorbent, they have a glaze on them like a brown teapot.

the leak might be from next door. When I was digging out and replacing a broken kitchen gulley in a terraced house, the person next door pulled out their bathplug and my pit filled up with warm water.

It is possible to decide if the water is from sewers (contains soap), gutters (contains traces of leaves) or waterpipes (chlorinated).

If you dig a hole a few yards away, and it fills up with water to the same depth, it is probably ground water.

Hi Guys,

I know its been a while but im starting to worry about this water again now as soon it will be time to put the kitchen tiled floor down and obviously i dont want to have to tip it back up...

The water is still present and hasbt really gotten any better, in fact maybe a bit worse, dispite the red hot summer we had, so im gonna get somebody in to look at it, but, who do i ring? A plumber? a drainage guy? I just dont know.

Thanks again guys

Why don't you have an access panel with a pump pumped inwith a float switch, this way it can keep it 'dry' to a certain degree.

Also find out what the water table is in your area, check with neighbours if they have the same problem, do a dye test to the drain lines and check if there are any springs under ground.

Andy

Sponsored Links
have we suggested yet that your ask your water company to test the water? they can tell if it is from a leaking pipe, or a leaking drain, by the quality and contents of the water.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for quick replies, I work overseas which makes everything that little more difficult, but today im going to ring the water board and see if they will come test it and also the council to enquire about the water levels. I can go see the neighbour when i return on thursday to the UK.Thanks also for that link to the web site, proved to be some good information.
This all sounds like its gonna be a costly job if its anything other than water table.

Thank You

So ive rang the council today and they said i was the 10th person in a week to ring regarding this problem in my town, he said its 'probably' the water table.
Only thing is i need to be convinced that its nothing else other than the water table before i put this floor down in my kitchen. Im going to ring the water board again when im back in the UK tomorrow, and ill update with weather the water has recceeded or increased.

Just wanna say a big thanks again for all replies and help, great forum

Hi again...over the last week ive had northumbrian water out to test the water under my house and it come back with not a trace even of chlorine so they said its not thier problem.
Just today ive had a camera survey of the drains and they have said they found no damage, however have said it could be damage to the traps where the cameras cannaot see.... he has put dye in the draind and we have to see if the dye travels to join the water under the bhouse.....

If the dye does not become apparent, what lese could this water be? is there any other options other than water table? is there anyway i can prove for certain it is the water table?

Thanks in advance guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back