Water water everywhere - baffled by damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I live in a ground floor flat. I feel that yet another issue with this flat is pushing my sanity to the brink so I'd love some help please!

I noticed there was a damp/mouldy smell in one of the bedrooms but I couldn't identify where it was coming from. When moving some furniture, I noticed the carpet felt slightly damp and when I pulled it back, there was water underneath the rubber underlay. I would love some advice on where the water might be coming from please.

Here are some details:

Flat generally has a lot of condensation and high humidity. I have dehumidifiers to try to deal with this.
The water is only in the room furthest away from kitchen/bathroom.
The carpet in that room feels dampish in places but isn't visibly wet.
Under the carpet is a sheet of wavy some rubber underlay. Under that sheet are some brown type of tiling/hard flooring which is where there is visible water. Under that is concrete.
The main area of water is the furthest corner. That is also an area where there is occasional mould on the walls. The walls in the corner are damp near the floor.
Directly the external side of that corner is a downpipe, drain, and gutter that my landlord filled with bits of rocks and some waterproof membrane thing (but this may not be correctly installed)
There is a radiator on that wall but no leak around it. It has been turned off in the last 2 days when water is still appearing.

When I found the water, I pulled back the carpet and underlay. It dried a bit but then, this morning, there was water there again. I don't know if this is coming from outside (where it has rained) or not. Landlord thinks this is internal condensation... but there was quite a lot of it. Is it weird that there would be a lot of internal condensation accumulating under the carpet, under the rubber underlay, between the rubber underlay and brown tiling underneath that? I felt that the water was coming from outside after it rained but landlord thinks then there would be loads of water and the skirting boards would be affected.

Any help would be appreciated. I've got terrible asthma at the moment and what with it being xmas and damp, I'm concerned this issue won't get resolved anytime soon.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hmm I don't know. Do you think the leak might be happening in the heating pipes? That radiator has been off for a couple of days but the water still appeared.

There are a number of possibilities - but first why not post pics of inside the room showing the floor and lower wall at that corner, & pics showing the outside wall & ground level at the same corner?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back