Cold, damp corner.

Your interior FFL is well above the DPC line - the FFL is level with the bottom of the dashed panels: see the back door threshold.

Sponsored Links
I'll check properly in daylight tomorrow, and also take the measurements Foxhole asked for. But a quick check just now without a torch appears to show that the back door threshold is two bricks above the outside level. So its pretty close.

So the height from floor to bottom edge of the window in the bedroom is 41.5 inches, 1054cm. Outside it's 47 inches, 1193cm, from the surface of the concrete path to the same window edge. Around two courses of brick.

Sponsored Links
Have you got pics of the sub floor in the house

Ours has solid floors throughout. Judging by the widespread presence of underfloor airbricks, most the 25 bungalows and houses in our close seem to have suspended timber floors.

Can you see a visqueen sheets around the edges ?

Nothing at all, no, and I’ve had the skirtings away from the external wall.

Property was built about 1973 and the site was purchased as an individual plot with planning permission. Generally the build quality is ok, and there’s no obvious damp issue anywhere else. However, at some point prior to our moving in 6 years ago, someone has applied a bitumen paint to the floor surface, perhaps Synthaprufe, so the problem in the bedroom is obviously long-standing.

Well, I've monitored the situation for a couple of months. Following the last post on this thread, I lifted the carpet, removed the rotting wooden carpet grippers (under which I found several wood lice) removed the soaking wet rubber-backed carpet underlay, lifted the carpet and took the skirtings off. I laid a sheet of budget DPC membrane directly on the concrete floor, taking it up the wall six inches or so, then refitted the skirting. I then laid a sheet of polystyrene insulation (the thin stuff you put on walls behind wallpaper) then new underlay, then the carpet. I did all this only in the affected area, which is a strip the length of the room and about a metre in width. Since I did all that we've had several weeks of bone dry weather, followed by two weeks of heavy rain, and the floor remains dry. Surely the failure of that heavy rain to penetrate the floor or the wall indicates that the problem is condensation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back