Water way to worry !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having not long moved into our new home, I have three areas of concern. But i'm such a DIY dolt, that i'm afraid I need some advice.

My main concern is that the water pump located in the airing cupboard is red hot, and is constantly making a humming noise. It has 3 settings, 1,2,3. I have turned it to 1 is this made the quieter humming noise, but it's still very hot. Normal? I don't know.

Also, very warm water comes out of the cold tap for a few seconds if the tap hasn't been used for a few hours.

Finally, the water out of the cold tap in the kitchen comes out slightly cloudy, but runs clear after a few minutes.

Help. I'm baffled !!!!

Sponsored Links
Do you have a water cylinder and is your hot water okay?

Pump do get hot,what is your hot water temperature out of your taps is like? Is it red hot or just hot? If it red hot then try and turn your boiler and water cylinder stat down and turn your pump to number 3 which will speed up the flow rate to prevent overheating.If the pump is noisy,it could be seizing up which also can make it red hot.

Sponsored Links
It's the opposite actually. Our current setting on the pump is on 1. The water itself is only hot and not red hot. My worry was that it constantly sounds as if it's pumping water (humming) and is always red hot to touch, is this purely becuase we have the central heating on?

:confused:

Any ideas on the other questions?

Pushy aren't I?

Warm water out of a cold tap is usually down to the closeness of the pipes to each other, especially in bathrooms (plumbing tends to run side by side to save the plumbers legs/sanity).
As to cloudy water ? We sometimes get this, if you leave a glass to stand the water will clear, Water Companies are known to occasionally "flush" there systems to clean them (fresh water shrimp), this tends to give you a "milky" look to your water, especially when unused for a few hours.
Don't think its harmful, but who knows what BB is doing to us !! :D :D :D

Cheers for that guys. I had wondered if the hot pump was contributing to the hot water/cloudyness and whether or not it was about to blow.

Just one final thing. Can I just check that i'm OK turning up the number on top of the pump up to 3, even though it makes a hell of a noise sometimes? And what's the little grey box attached to the pump, but sitting independantly away from the pump?

Sound like your pump might be on it way out,but should be a quite humming noise if it very noisy then change it ( I didn't realise how quite they are until I've change mine! )you're probably not used to it as it your new home.Normally the pump speed switch is attached on the pump so it okay to switch to number 3.The grey box is probably a wiring connection for your pump,room & cylinder stat, and programmer which make the system works.The only other thing I can think of your cloudy water in your kitchen mixer taps previously been serviced with a washer which prone to rust instead of a brass washer.

Thanks again guys. That's been a big help. I'll see you soon 'wiring in a socket' forum !!!!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back