Water works in area.. Now pipes rattle and tap turns on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

My mum had water works done in her area, so the water was cut off for a few hours. However, when the water was turned back on, it has created issues with her gas boiler.

When any tap in the house is turned on, makes an awful noise and the bathroom tap turns on (Video included)

It's a council house, but they still haven't come out too sort it and it's been weeks. Just worried that could course gas pipe to become lose and leak :/

Sponsored Links
It is very unlikely that'll have any effect on the gas supply, look possibly like 'Water Hammer' where a loose washer is vibrating somewhere in the system. Try turning the Stopcock where the supply enters the house, down a bit.

Thank you, I'll give it a go early this week when I next go to hers, then will update.

So, I'm at my mums today and I have turned it down about and no difference.

IMG_20200913_184720.jpg
IMG_20200913_184703.jpg
IMG_20200913_184654.jpg
IMG_20200913_184815.jpg
IMG_20200913_184720.jpg
IMG_20200913_184703.jpg
IMG_20200913_184654.jpg
IMG_20200913_184815.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've been adviced that it's not the boiler, it's an insert in one of the taps... Most likely the one in video.

So need some advice please. I'm going to mums tomorrow to put new tap on, but never done it in a house with gas boiler.

So, what steps should I take before removing old tap other than turning water off?

I don't know why you're fixating on the boiler if you're simply changing a tap washer.
Because on a none gas system you turn the water off and change tap.

I'm not sure if changing a tap that runs off a gas boiler requires me too turn off boiler etc...

Because on a none gas system you turn the water off and change tap.

I'm not sure if changing a tap that runs off a gas boiler requires me too turn off boiler etc...

That's a bathroom tap no? It's possibly probably is fed by a tank. I don't think you need to worry about the boiler. Just isolate the tap, take the head off and replace the washer or cartridge.

That's a bathroom tap no? It's possibly probably is fed by a tank. I don't think you need to worry about the boiler. Just isolate the tap, take the head off and replace the washer or cartridge.

Okay, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back